Shelix vs grizzly
I live 20 miles from Byrd’s plant so I picked up my cutters directly from them. Great folks to deal with.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
A friend was complaining about knife changes and sharpening on the planer at work, they bought a Byrd head for their 36" Newman planer, they love it!

Ed
I'll bet that baby cost a few bucks!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-02-2021, 08:32 PM)Bill_de Wrote: I don't think you would have trouble finding index cutters even if Byrd and Grizzly both went out of business.

Carbide 4-Edge Helical Cutter Inserts for Stationary Planer - Google Search

IIRC the documents that came with my Grizzly 6" jointer, said it came with a Shelix helical cutter. 

---

That could be a advantage over the 2 sided HSS cutters unless there are 3rd party HSS cutters as well.
(01-06-2021, 06:15 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'll bet that baby cost a few bucks!

just a bit north of $4500.00

Ed
I have Byrd in my jointer and a Grizzly Spiral in my planer, I see no difference.
I have a Shelix, purchased from Grizzly, for my 6" Grizzly paralellogram style jointer. I installed it about five years ago and love it.....HOWEVER....even though it was purchased from Grizzly, for a Grizzly, and their head selection for my jointer, it did not fit! Fortunately, I own a machine/tool shop, as part of my manufacturing plant, and I was able to have one of my guys modify the jointer (not the Shelix!). I don't recall of the Shelix had new bearings supplied with it, but I recall changing those, though it could have been the stock Grizzly bearing housings were non standard.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com