Building a "Floating," Sliding Platform Shelf
Question 
I'm adding shelving to a built-in cabinet (with doors) where I'll keep my audio gear, and want to top it with a sliding platform to carry a turntable.  The platform will be wide enough for the turntable, but not as wide as the cabinet, so I won't be able to mount the slides to the cabinet walls.  Are there under- or bottom-mount, full-extension slides available that attach to the surface below (i.e., the top shelf), and do not need side walls to attach to?  I've searched the forums and found quite a few on mounting Blum slides, but they always seem to use the cabinet walls.

The shelf and platform will both be 3/4" plywood; I'll also be edging the platform with a curtain (skirt?) to hide the plywood's edges as well as the slides.  So if necessary I could add short brackets to act as mini walls on the platform, if the slides will need those--but that will eat up width under the platform.  I'd prefer a wider "wheel base" if I can get it.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
(02-03-2021, 06:49 PM)grwold Wrote: I'm adding shelving to a built-in cabinet (with doors) where I'll keep my audio gear, and want to top it with a sliding platform to carry a turntable.  The platform will be wide enough for the turntable, but not as wide as the cabinet, so I won't be able to mount the slides to the cabinet walls.  Are there under- or bottom-mount, full-extension slides available that attach to the surface below (i.e., the top shelf), and do not need side walls to attach to?  I've searched the forums and found quite a few on mounting Blum slides, but they always seem to use the cabinet walls.

The shelf and platform will both be 3/4" plywood; I'll also be edging the platform with a curtain (skirt?) to hide the plywood's edges as well as the slides.  So if necessary I could add short brackets to act as mini walls on the platform, if the slides will need those--but that will eat up width under the platform.  I'd prefer a wider "wheel base" if I can get it.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Greg, not sure I followed exactly what you were doing, but you could use these upside down  lowes
(02-04-2021, 06:55 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Greg, not sure I followed exactly what you were doing, but you could use these upside down  lowes

Sorry, Barry.  Here are some sketches, trying to illustrate the design.  What I'm asking is, are there slides I can install where the blue bars are in the sketch, that mount to the shelf they sit on without need for walls (such as the cabinet sides) to provide support.

I've been reading the Blum slide instructions (from their web site), and it seems their undermount slides may need the walls.  The slide you linked might be what I'm looking for.
(02-04-2021, 08:34 AM)grwold Wrote: Sorry, Barry.  Here are some sketches, trying to illustrate the design.  What I'm asking is, are there slides I can install where the blue bars are in the sketch, that mount to the shelf they sit on without need for walls (such as the cabinet sides) to provide support.

I've been reading the Blum slide instructions (from their web site), and it seems their undermount slides may need the walls.  The slide you linked might be what I'm looking for.

You may want to look for undermount drawer slides...

Here is an example at Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Conceale...ooghydr-20 

-Brian
The Blum soft close slides have holes on the bottom of the bracket in the front. They sell an end bracket to secure the bracket to the back of the cabinet (or maybe drill a hole in the bottom towards the rear?).

IMHO bigger issue is that the metal sides of the brackets are going to be visible and not all that pretty. Might as well install a cleat on each side and simplify the mounting. Chamfer the outside edges of the cleats to look like a design element.
(02-04-2021, 09:10 AM)BpB123 Wrote: You may want to look for undermount drawer slides...

-Brian

Yeah, I've been looking at the Blum undercounts (Tandems), very much like that example.

(02-04-2021, 01:39 PM)joe1086 Wrote: The Blum soft close slides have holes on the bottom of the bracket in the front. They sell an end bracket to secure the bracket to the back of the cabinet (or maybe drill a hole in the bottom towards the rear?).

IMHO bigger issue is that the metal sides of the brackets are going to be visible and not all that pretty. Might as well install a cleat on each side and simplify the mounting. Chamfer the outside edges of the cleats to look like a design element.

I've read over Blum's installation instructions several times. They give specs for face-frame and frameless cabinets, but I didn't see anything about screwing into the bottom.

I imagine you're right, though--I should install cleats and mount the slides inside those. It will look better in the end.

Thanks, all for your input.
I made a pullout shelf for a Cricket craft printer years ago that my wife requested. It was very similar design if not exact. I used a scrap piece of cherry veneer 3/4” plywood, turned the normal heavy duty full extension slides flat onto the shelf and mounted it to the existing horizontal shelf and the underside of the plywood. Covered the front and side edges of the plywood with hardwood trim that just cleared the shelf, to help hide the drawer slides. After 10 years of constant use, had to problems with y to the slides.
John