wood floor squeak
3/4" solid oak flooring on 1st floor ....squeak!

Tried fixing by going to basement/crawl space but it appears that the squeak is right by basement wall and the crawl space. I've tried shims and mechanical devices to no avail!!

Brainstorming other solutions...e.g., attacking it from the top...thinking that squeak not caused by space between sub-floor and floor joist BUT between oak flooring and sub-floor.

Your thoughts on drilling small diameter hole into the oak, drive in a screw, counter-bore, and plug hole via scrap pc of same oak flooring [paying attention to color and grain match].  Of course, no matter how well the plug matches, every time I walk over that spot, the plug will shout out!!
Try putting baby powder in the cracks from above. I have heard it works.Have not neede to try it myself
They make trim screws for trim. Has a very small head. Usually a little wood coloring makes them un-noticable
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-18-2021, 11:39 AM)varkpilot Wrote: Brainstorming other solutions...e.g., attacking it from the top...thinking that squeak not caused by space between sub-floor and floor joist BUT between oak flooring and sub-floor.

Your thoughts on drilling small diameter hole into the oak, drive in a screw, counter-bore, and plug hole via scrap pc of same oak flooring [paying attention to color and grain match].  Of course, no matter how well  the plug matches, every time I walk over that spot, the plug will shout out!!

ive done similar on a squeaky oak floor( iirc, squeaks are usually caused by a nail?).
made some plugs with some scrap, used a forstner bit to drill half way through floor, put my weight on both sides of the hole then ran the screw in- just until it was seated. screw length 1". coarse thread.
eliminated the squeak.
plugging it- fortunately i was the one who refinished the floors so knew it was just 3 coats of poly. with that, i put poly on the plugs, let dry thoroughly. i  used a toothpick to spread a little bit of glue on the sides of the hole.used a cloth to cover and a rubber mallet to tap them in. worked great.
if i would have thought about it sooner, i would have lined up the grain. they didnt stand out like a sore thumb- i was the only one that saw them.
and i saw them. 
every friggin time i walked through the room.
in other words- line up the grain.
I saw a flooring guy drive 2 small finish nails about 4 inches apart, driven down between planks with the head set just below the beveled edge. It separates the two planks just enough to stop the squeak... assuming it's the planks, not the subfloor squeaking. The head was driven just below the bevel... assuming yours is a pre-finished floor with the bevel. It was only noticeable if you knew where to look.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

What is the sub floor material? I did several floor squeak repairs, using the metal wedges/screws at the subfloor/floor joists that worked well. That was on plywood/OSB subfloors.

The one I never did succeed at fixing was a subfloor made of pressed wood(not OSB), more mile really rough MDF material. The squeaks were caused by the material delaminating. Only real solution was to replace the subfloor and the homeowner did not want to do that.

I'd do the screw/plug fix. Especially with oak, since the grains are easier to match.