Hot Water Recirculation Pumps
First and most important question, is it possible to retrofit one without a dedicated recirculation line? It would have to use the cold water line.  I don't see another way back to the water heater.   I'm thinking about adding one to the upstairs bathroom.  There's ~50' of pipe between that bathroom and the water heater because the factory put the chase for that bathroom in the wrong place.

(02-18-2021, 02:30 PM)crokett™ Wrote: First and most important question, is it possible to retrofit one without a dedicated recirculation line? It would have to use the cold water line.  I don't see another way back to the water heater.   I'm thinking about adding one to the upstairs bathroom.  There's ~50' of pipe between that bathroom and the water heater because the factory put the chase for that bathroom in the wrong place.

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdA_gfau1s4
Yes. that answers a lot of my questions. thanks. The hard part will be getting power to it. I'll have to try to fish power down the wall from one of the vanity outlets most likely.

(02-19-2021, 08:06 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Yes. that answers a lot of my questions.  thanks.  The hard part will be getting power to it.  I'll have to try to fish power down the wall from one of the vanity outlets most likely.

If you want easier to plumb and wire there are other models.  Probably already have power near your water heater.
This is a common method.

Home depot video on their pump.
My water heater is buried behind an access door in a closet. I don't like that location. When it comes time to replace it I'm thinking about moving it to the crawlspace. I am thinking about putting the pump in my attic behind the bathroom upstairs. I don't see a reason why it can't go there. Power there is easily accessible.

(02-19-2021, 09:00 AM)crokett™ Wrote: My water heater is buried behind an access door in a closet.  I don't like that location.  When it comes time to replace it I'm thinking about moving it to the crawlspace.   I am thinking about putting the pump in my attic behind the bathroom upstairs.  I don't see a reason why it can't go there.  Power  there is easily accessible.

Laing makes a recirc pump you can stick under the farthest sink. When you turn the hot water tap it pumps the water from the hot water line into the cold line until it hits temp and closes the valve.  They also make one you can attach to the top of the water tank with a timer that recircs during the hours selected I have one of those installed in one of my places I don't remember how we set it up.  I know the water bill went down not sure how much power is used to keep that line hot while it is pumping
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

BTW, do you have a water softener?  I've been researching this for my own house (we have a softener) after your post and it's possible without a check valve after your softener that you'll be send hot water back through the softener with a recirculating pump.
Thanks Bob. I'll look into the Laing. Im trying to find an under sink that runs via remote or similar control. Turning on the water at the sink and letting it run until its warm there would work

(02-22-2021, 08:09 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Thanks Bob.  I'll look into the Laing.  Im trying to find an under sink that runs via remote or similar control.  Turning on the water at the sink and letting it run until its warm there would work

Here's another video to check out.  He installs the pump at the WH but this would work at the sink, too.  He uses smart plugs to activate the pump when motion is detected before someone goes to the bathroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXTuYuQjTSk&t=417s