Everything on Backorder!
Ordered three things in the last three months that have all gone on long term backorder due  I'm sure to COVID. First was a Wood River 5- 1\2 plane. Initially Woodcraft told me early March and then changed that to early June. Grrrrrrrrrr.
Mad

Then they had a 10% sale on Jet power tools so I dropped a large amount on a 6 x 48 sander only to learn that it too would be on backorder until mid March. 
Mad

Now I have some sharpening tools on back order.

It seems everything I order from Woodcraft goes on backorder.

Anyone else suffering the same frustration?
I have been putting off ordering a Festool Domino 500 for a couple of months. Went to order one a couple of days ago. Won't be available until June. Hopefully it will be available when I am building the 6 dinning room chairs. The table will be done by June.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
My backorder list now includes Powermatic PM1500 bandsaw, Powermatic 15HH planer both purchased during the recent 10% off with free shipping special. Also a Grizzly extreme series G0696X 12 inch table saw. It is what it is darn Covid.
"I have been putting off ordering a Festool Domino 500 for a couple of months. Went to order one a couple of days ago. Won't be available until June. Hopefully it will be available when I am building the 6 dinning room chairs. The table will be done by June."

I had one ordered from Woodcraft in Jan. A few weeks ago Hartville Hardware suddenly had four in stock, so I ordered one from there and canceled my backorder. It got here in a few days. There are a couple on Ebay, but the price is higher.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(02-28-2021, 06:50 PM)TRW Wrote: Ordered three things in the last three months that have all gone on long term backorder due  I'm sure to COVID. First was a Wood River 5- 1\2 plane. Initially Woodcraft told me early March and then changed that to early June. Grrrrrrrrrr.
Mad

Then they had a 10% sale on Jet power tools so I dropped a large amount on a 6 x 48 sander only to learn that it too would be on backorder until mid March. 
Mad

Now I have some sharpening tools on back order.

It seems everything I order from Woodcraft goes on backorder.

Anyone else suffering the same frustration?

You don't say where you are. If there are any Woodcraft stores in your area, it could be worth calling them and asking if they have what you want in stock or if they can get a transfer from a store that does. I haven't been to our local WC since the turning club meetings went virtual, but it normally stocked a full line of the WR planes and I think that I remember seeing one of those sanders on the floor.

The check for whether an item is in stock at a particular store on the website should always be double checked by phone before making the drive.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(03-02-2021, 04:01 AM)iclark Wrote: The check for whether an item is in stock at a particular store on the website should always be double checked by phone before making the drive.

I've noticed that woodcraft website has a "check in-store availability" link on some items.
Anyone know why this link isn't available on all items?  (i.e., I didn't see it on the 5 1/2 woodriver plane)

Matt
I wanted to buy a small freezer a couple of months ago.  I was told that the factory was booked solid until this summer.  Maybe things have changed, but definitely problems in delivery.

Also, there is a worldwide shortage of iron ore.  The Chinese cut back on iron ore production because of the pandemic and then demand went way up more than expected.  The Chinese are buying up all the available iron ore.

Also, in Brazil a dam failed and flooded a major iron ore production area.  Brazil is the second-largest producer of iron ore in the world (behind Australia).  They are not expected to reach pre-flood production rates until 2023, so the shortages will last at least 2 more years. 

Our company buys steel.  Recently we could get steel from the steel mills in 2 - 4 weeks.  The other day they quoted 16-week delivery.  Four months is a problem for many of our customers.  They will be late filling orders to the automotive, department of defense, housewares, hardware, and other industries.

You can expect these shortages to impact machinery and hardware deliveries.

Also, note that stainless steel is getting very expensive because the pandemic shut down nickel production in the Philippines.  Lead times for stainless steel are growing too.

Either plan on longer lead times, or plan on buying earlier than originally planned.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It happens all over the place.  I read GM is shutting down some assembly lines for a week or two because of computer chip availability.  I also saw the same thing at my local electronics store, went to get a video card for a desktop unit and pretty much everything was bare with "No video cards today" posted on the cabinets.
I'm still seeing a lot of the shelves in the grocery store bare of products.  One day it will end, but for now we have to live with it.
The manager of my local WoodCraft told me that his store doesn’t move many WoodRiver hand planes so stock is minimal. I found that to be true as many planes were MIA from the display. I got lucky one visit and the hailed 5-1/2 was there for me to purchase. It’s an awesome plane and worthy to add to anyone’s collection.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(02-28-2021, 07:24 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I have been putting off ordering a Festool Domino 500 for a couple of months. Went to order one a couple of days ago. Won't be available until June. Hopefully it will be available when I am building the 6 dinning room chairs. The table will be done by June.

Have you tried other places? I picked one up in store (in NJ) over Christmas.

I'd bet other stores have it in stock...
Jason
Mesurei, cutti, cursi