Painting Rooms
What my wife decided for several of our rooms to paint the ceiling with 1/2 the color formula that was on the walls. Never heard of that before but the paint store knew exactly what to do.
(03-01-2021, 08:15 AM)joe1086 Wrote: What my wife decided for several of our rooms to paint the ceiling with 1/2 the color formula that was on the walls. Never heard of that before but the paint store knew exactly what to do.

I did that with my first ceiling, but didn't like it.  Couldn't see the advantage of it, so went back to full strength on the ceiling as walls.
I used to use ceiling white for ceilings.  My current house pretends to be "midcentury modern" which only means that there are no crown moldings.  I dislike cutting in at the ceiling so I just paint all one color.

Next up:  Farmhouse modern (pure white) walls.  Mostly because I will not have to ponder over the colors. 

I will choose a color that very closely matches the caulking I use.  So I can paint over the caulking or caulk over the paint.  Easy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I am so glad I asked these questions here. Great ideas and reasoning. I have somethings to think about but your help is welcomed. Thanks everyone.
John T.
I've done it both ways.  Forty years ago, it was more common around here to paint the entire room the same color.  These days the "rules" seem to be pretty much dictated by HGTV.  The last time I painted rooms in our house, we went with a different color on the ceiling.  It may not have been pure ceiling white, but it was within the same spectrum.  It looks fine and I'm happy with it, but then I was content with the original color for many years.

Frankly, I think, for the most part, paint colors are pretty much a matter of preference.  Styles, tastes and thus preferences change over time.  I know that colors can affect moods and make rooms appear bigger/smaller, etc.  I'm not scoffing at that, but if you like a certain color or a certain look, then go for it.  Don't get too concerned over what is the latest trend, because trends change.  These days they change pretty quickly.   Changing paint color is relatively easy & cheap.  It has it's biggest impact right after it's done, because you still have the "before" picture in your mind.  I bet, after a year or so, the esthetic impact it far less noticeable.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I did a fair amount of interior painting, home and my retirement business.

Always wondered if taping/painting/untaping was the best way. I was never satisfied with the paint edges of trim when taped. So, when painting every room of a mobile we had, I experimented. I was painting wood paneling that had been painted(a whole 'nother story).

Taped a room, used an edging paint tool on another, and just brush technique on a third. Take a guess which method was the fastest and yielded the best results. Cut in along trim and used a roller on the field. Primed and painted all rooms.

The edging tool was a PITA, constantly needing to be cleaned and dripped paint regardless. Ok for small touchup use, but not for a total room.

The taping version was tedious. The trim along the ceilings was just quarter round and the grooves in the paneling caused problems. Door/window trim did not fit tightly against the paneling and was a PITA to tape. The only good part was pulling the tape.

The use of just a really good tapered brush and technique(keeping paint only on the painted surface side of the brush for cutting in along trim) seemed to take forever, although it got a bit faster with practice. And it was not difficult to get used to doing.

Imagine my surprise when that version was, by far, the fastest. By over thirty minutes on a small bedroom. And much cheaper(no tape cost), got a much better edge long trim, and was actually more fun. I know, how can painting be fun?
Crazy

The tape/untape took the longest
As state above, I've always painted ceiling the same as the wall.  We have low ceilings in the Nebraska house, just short of 8'.  My daughter is very good at cutting and said she'd be happy to paint it white, because 'it'll make the room look bigger'.  I still think the different color will draw your eye to the low ceiling and make it look smaller.  There seems to be strong opinions for both ways.  

While girlie and I were discussing it, LOML asked then why the hell did I paint all the ceilings in the current house white??  I actually had to argue with her about it.  Never in my life, over 30 years of which has been shared with her, have I painted a ceiling white.  Which I think may prove the point that people really aren't paying that much attention to the ceiling.  
Sarcasm
Funny, have never done anything other than painting the ceilings white...
Will definitely consider painting the same as the walls...
I have never lived in a house that didn't have white ceilings. I don't think I've been in a house (visiting friends etc) where the ceiling wasn't white. a non-white ceiling would look odd. As for the comment on cut-in, you still have to cut-in corners, a roller won't do corners neatly. I learned long ago that the way that gave best results was a good sash brush, a steady hand and paint on one side of the brush only. It is also faster than tape.

Houses with same colored walls and ceiling is still a thing and was popular with older homes. Either way is acceptable. I may mix it up this time and do both in various rooms. I do not look up at ceiling anyway.
John T.