Drill for drilling in beams and mixing plaster: Bosch GBM9-16? Or other?
I'm looking for a drill that can drill 1/2" or larger holes in beams up to 12" thick and mix plaster. The Bosch GBM9-16 caught my eye. Is it good for what I'm after? Others? I'd like to keep it under $160.
Milwaukee 0234-or a Milwaukee hole hawg. The hole hawg would be a better choice.

Ed
Go to an auction. Buy an old 300rpm 1/2 drill. I've bought several old ones of various good name brands and they will all twist your arm off. Max price was $15. None were variable speed but strong.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(03-09-2021, 12:18 AM)EdL Wrote: Milwaukee 0234-or a Milwaukee hole hawg. The hole hawg would be a better choice.

Ed

Thanks. The Hawg looks good but...it's twice what I wanted to spend. I'm only drilling through five 12" beams. The rest will be through 4x8s. The drill will see as much if not more time mixing than drilling wood.
(03-09-2021, 11:52 AM)Eurekan Wrote: Go to an auction. Buy an old 300rpm 1/2 drill. I've bought several old ones of various good name brands and they will all twist your arm off. Max price was $15. None were variable speed but strong.

Thanks.
Keep an eye out for a 1/2" Milwaukee Magnum holeshooter...I have seen them on CL for $15-->$25, sometimes a little more...
They will hurt you if you try to resist them...I learned to keep my thumb and fingers all parallel when using it, so it can release if, I mean when, it catches. 
DAMHIK
https://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/d/o...54323.html
(03-09-2021, 01:44 PM)brianwelch Wrote: Keep an eye out for a 1/2" Milwaukee Magnum holeshooter...I have seen them on CL for $15-->$25, sometimes a little more...
They will hurt you if you try to resist them...I learned to keep my thumb and fingers all parallel when using it, so it can release if, I mean when, it catches. 
DAMHIK
https://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/d/o...54323.html

I think my  1/2" Milwaukee Magnum holeshooter wants to spin faster than I like when mixing mud. It's variable speed but at low speed/ high torque it gets hot fast. I usually grab the right angle version. The right angle "attachment" is a gear reduction and the long drill body provides much more leverage than a pistol grip.

I have an older 240v B&D w/ a 3/4" chuck and incredible torque. My aux. handle is a four foot length of 3/4" black iron pipe pressed against a wall, lally column, or anything that won't move. Picture this: Two step ladders, two men drilling 1" hole in bottom of I-beam. Bit stops, drill doesn't. What a ride! And I'll challenge anyone to try to let go of the switch when you're holding on for dear life!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(03-09-2021, 11:53 AM)Fishnaked Wrote: Thanks. The Hawg looks good but...it's twice what I wanted to spend. I'm only drilling through five 12" beams. The rest will be through 4x8s. The drill will see as much if not more time mixing than drilling wood.

Hole hawg is known to break body parts and toss people off ladders.  I own one that sees little use but it will do what you want CL or pawn shop.  Unless you do the 1/2" x 12" all day long I would get one of these.  I have one or 2 of these never smoked one mixing mud or drilling 1/2" holes.  I use the hawg when I am drilling holes for drains.  
[Image: 00l0l_gi366A4CrE8z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(03-13-2021, 10:40 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I think my  1/2" Milwaukee Magnum holeshooter wants to spin faster than I like when mixing mud. It's variable speed but at low speed/ high torque it gets hot fast. I usually grab the right angle version. The right angle "attachment" is a gear reduction and the long drill body provides much more leverage than a pistol grip.

I have an older 240v B&D w/ a 3/4" chuck and incredible torque. My aux. handle is a four foot length of 3/4" black iron pipe pressed against a wall, lally column, or anything that won't move. Picture this: Two step ladders, two men drilling 1" hole in bottom of I-beam. Bit stops, drill doesn't. What a ride! And I'll challenge anyone to try to let go of the switch when you're holding on for dear life!

Never used one of those, but makes a lot of sense. Mine is max 500rpm, and gets far more use mixing paint, or larger diameter spade bits...
Instead of letting go, one can hope that eventually the cord will pull out of the outlet, depending how long the extension cord is <grin>
(03-08-2021, 11:48 PM)Fishnaked Wrote: I'm looking for a drill that can drill 1/2" or larger holes in beams up to 12" thick and mix plaster. The Bosch GBM9-16 caught my eye. Is it good for what I'm after? Others? I'd like to keep it under $160.

That Bosch looks like a fine tool for your application and Amazon has it for $150+, right in your budget. I have many Bosch tools and have nothing but good things to say about them AND the company - great service. I also have a Milwaukee heavy duty tailed drill (don't have the model # at my fingertips) I bought several years ago to drill some holes for Tapcon screws - good tool also.

After reading the description and specs I'd be surprised if the Bosch doesn't meet your needs.

Doug