How to scribe this curve?
I need to build a deck hatch for my sailboat. The forward edge is curved, as shown in the pics. I'm completely drawing a blank on how to transfer that curve onto a piece of plywood. Can you guys jog my memory?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

A lot of times I start with a cardboard template
(04-03-2021, 04:50 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I need to build a deck hatch for my sailboat.  The forward edge is curved, as shown in the pics.   I'm completely drawing a blank on how to transfer that curve onto a piece of plywood.  Can you guys jog my memory?

A compass with one point on the deck and the pencil point on the wood or a large fender washer or disk with a hole for a pencil point.   Suggest scrap board for a template.   Roly
Oh yeah! A fender washer! That's what I was trying to figure out!

MT, yeah I'll make a cardboard template. I did that earlier today building the weather hatch.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(04-03-2021, 05:33 PM)Roly Wrote: A compass with one point on the deck and the pencil point on the wood...

Typically this is how I do it to rough it out. Sometimes I use a block of scrap and a carpenter's pencil belt sanded into a wedge. Scribe it directly onto the workpiece. Use a Japanese marking knife on a scrap block to get the final scribe just perfect.

Here is an example of my work.

[Image: bandit-2.jpg]
[Image: bandit-1.jpg]
Wood is good. 
(04-04-2021, 12:14 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: Typically this is how I do it to rough it out. Sometimes I use a block of scrap and a carpenter's pencil belt sanded into a wedge. Scribe it directly onto the workpiece. Use a Japanese marking knife on a scrap block to get the final scribe just perfect.

Here is an example of my work.

[Image: bandit-2.jpg]
[Image: bandit-1.jpg]
Your work is outstanding!!!!!!!!!
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset