Copper Top Hall Table
Many years after starting this piece I finally picked it back up again and finished it.

It's Black Walnut with Dark Walnut Danish Oil Finish.  The feet are Wenge.  The copper top insert in a sheet of copper epoxied to a substrate and then chemically treated with some real nasty chemicals.

It came out pretty good.

Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Pretty good indeed.  That's gorgeous.  How did you do the bottom of the legs?

John
(04-28-2021, 12:50 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Pretty good indeed.  That's gorgeous.  How did you do the bottom of the legs?

John

The Wenge feet are doweled to the Black Walnut legs and glued with epoxy. The trick is positioning the dowel in the correct position so it's hidden after the taper
I like it. Very original.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Very nice Gary.......
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(04-28-2021, 02:08 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I like it. Very original.

Thanks

Not original at all in fact. David Marks did it long before. Don't know if he was the first or not...
That's a fine looking table. After treating the copper did you add any other finish to it or do you expect more oxidation over time?

I like the proportions and those feet too. Nice work!
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(04-28-2021, 08:37 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: That's a fine looking table. After treating the copper did you add any other finish to it or do you expect more oxidation over time?

I like the proportions and those feet too. Nice work!

It was washed with water to remove the chemicals and then coated with micro-crystalline wax. I don't expect it to change any at all
(04-28-2021, 08:39 PM)Gary™ Wrote: It was washed with water to remove the chemicals and then coated with micro-crystalline wax.  I don't expect it to change any at all

Really, really nice Gary!  Those feet are a great compliment to the copper top.  Wenge is under-used as an accent wood IMHO.

Lonnie
(04-28-2021, 08:39 PM)Gary™ Wrote: It was washed with water to remove the chemicals and then coated with micro-crystalline wax.  I don't expect it to change any at all

First off, VERY nice table!  Love the colors and the style.  Excellent work.

Here is David Marks' process for patination of copper.  It sounds like this is what Gary used.  As Gary indicates, a coating of wax is all that's required.

https://www.djmarks.com/davids-blog/arch...d-j-marks/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill