LN stuff?
Best laid plans of mice and men, Charlie! I manufacture parts for the primary automotive market, and the planning that goes on, with the supply side of automotive, is far more involved than building handtools. I've seen delay after delay after delay, for the past 15 months, that no amount of planning can avoid all disruptions. I've been fortunate in that I have sufficient back-up sourcing that kept us from shutting down any customer. But, here in Pennsyltucky, how do you accommodate a government mandate, that any employee that fears they can get Covid, qualifies for unemployment? How about the pipeline ransom issue, which affected truck deliveries?

To me, the vulnerability of the "boutique" tool makers, is saturation of tools in the hobby sector more than disruptions to the supply chain. To a much lesser extent, is there the need for high end tools to achieve desired results? Again, those that work the trades know what is needed to achieve the desired result in the quickest amount of time. In the end, every edge tool, be it a plane, a chisel or a handsaw, will need sharpened.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(05-18-2021, 12:08 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Best laid plans of mice and men, Charlie!  I manufacture parts for the primary automotive market, and the planning that goes on, with the supply side of automotive, is far more involved than building handtools.  I've seen delay after delay after delay, for the past 15 months, that no amount of planning can avoid all disruptions.  I've been fortunate in that I have sufficient back-up sourcing that kept us from shutting down any customer.  But, here in Pennsyltucky, how do you accommodate a government mandate, that any employee that fears they can get Covid, qualifies for unemployment?  How about the pipeline ransom issue, which affected truck deliveries?

To me, the vulnerability of the "boutique" tool makers, is saturation of tools in the hobby sector more than disruptions to the supply chain.  To a much lesser extent, is there the need for high end tools to achieve desired results?  Again, those that work the trades know what is needed to achieve the desired result in the quickest amount of time.  In the end, every edge tool, be it a plane, a chisel or a handsaw, will need sharpened.

You and I could start a plane company tomorrow, design and then spec everything from outside suppliers, take orders, then order parts from our suppliers, assemble and ship.  Low investment in inventory on hand - finished goods or parts or both.

Or, we could do a pretty good bit of it in house, but shell out critical portions to other suppliers.  No difference at the end of the day if still running lean model.

Wouldn't be much of a company.

Poof and gone when the first ill wind blows and rightfully so.
Charlie, if we start a lean discussion, we should do it in PM, but we would both be arguing from the same position. I bought a company 21 years ago, as part of a lean initiative/divestiture. The sale (and my purchase) was following the precepts enumerated by a James Womack (author of several lean books) through his association with a British company named (at that time) BTR. The purchase was one of several manufacturing divisions that would be made available, after the success of the first was realized. In the run up to my purchase, I ready everything I could lay my hands on, and I was brimming with lean knowledge!

It failed miserably, and the re-purchase of the division occurred about 2 years after the original purchase. Womack's original theory was that a large company could sell off manufacturing portions of itself and the resultant buyer could operate more efficiently, and with the corporate overhead portion removed, the company could be more profitable.

In any case, lean is a weird term, and anyone in business for themselves, quickly realize lean only means that everyone gets paid before you do and doing more with less. What is ignored, is you can't apply a cookie cutter formula across all industries, from old dinosaurs, hanging on by a thread, to new fully automated manufacturing facilities.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(05-18-2021, 01:09 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Charlie, if we start a lean discussion, we should do it in PM, but we would both be arguing from the same position.  I bought a company 21 years ago, as part of a lean initiative/divestiture.  The sale (and my purchase) was following the precepts enumerated by a James Womack (author of several lean books) through his association with a British company named (at that time) BTR.  The purchase was one of several manufacturing divisions that would be made available, after the success of the first was realized.  In the run up to my purchase, I ready everything I could lay my hands on, and I was brimming with lean knowledge!

It failed miserably, and the re-purchase of the division occurred about 2 years after the original purchase.  Womack's original theory was that a large company could sell off manufacturing portions of itself and the resultant buyer could operate more efficiently, and with the corporate overhead portion removed, the company could be more profitable.  

In any case, lean is a weird term, and anyone in business for themselves, quickly realize lean only means that everyone gets paid before you do and doing more with less.  What is ignored, is you can't apply a cookie cutter formula across all industries, from old dinosaurs, hanging on by a thread, to new fully automated manufacturing facilities.

I'm sure L-N never imagined this could happen.  Yet it did.  I'd love to know how many days of sales he had in inventory in March, 2020.  Whatever it was, it wasn't enough.

Can you imagine the British and French firms during WWII -- that just dawned on me.  At least nobody dropped bombs on L-N's location in Maine.  A 500 pounder right down the pipe would definitely ruin your day.

The Sheffield Blitz:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_...0armaments.

Worth remembering the next time somebody starts whining about their supply chain.
From the banner on the LN website: 

"The health and safety of our staff is our highest priority. Building the best quality tools we can is next."
-Thomas

The certain way for the company to achieve their highest priority is to abandon their second.

If everybody there stays home then they will be entirely safe. (Plus, all but one may get a pay-raise)

Let's hope this is not realized.

(This statement reminds me of a sign I once read at the front of the DMV: "Our goal is a friendly work environment." I thought their goal was to register cars.)
(05-19-2021, 07:07 PM)MG14 Wrote: From the banner on the LN website: 

"The health and safety of our staff is our highest priority. Building the best quality tools we can is next."
-Thomas

The certain way for the company to achieve their highest priority is to abandon their second.

If everybody there stays home then they will be entirely safe. (Plus, all but one may get a pay-raise)

Let's hope this is not realized.

(This statement reminds me of a sign I once read at the front of the DMV: "Our goal is a friendly work environment." I thought their goal was to register cars.)
Jeez guys.  Aren't you being a little hard on LN?  Around 5 weeks ago I signed up to get an out of stock 5-1/2.  Last week it arrived. It's beautiful.  How many tool manufacturers of hand tools do we have?  A little support would be nice to see in my opinion.
(05-18-2021, 01:48 PM)CStan Wrote: I'm sure L-N never imagined this could happen.  Yet it did.  I'd love to know how many days of sales he had in inventory in March, 2020.  Whatever it was, it wasn't enough.

Can you imagine the British and French firms during WWII -- that just dawned on me.  At least nobody dropped bombs on L-N's location in Maine.  A 500 pounder right down the pipe would definitely ruin your day.

The Sheffield Blitz:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_...0armaments.

Worth remembering the next time somebody starts whining about their supply chain.

(05-20-2021, 06:38 AM)les winter Wrote: Jeez guys.  Aren't you being a little hard on LN?  Around 5 weeks ago I signed up to get an out of stock 5-1/2.  Last week it arrived. It's beautiful.  How many tool manufacturers of hand tools do we have?  A little support would be nice to see in my opinion.

Correct! Provided a business is privately held, the owner may manage as he/she, sees fit.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-12-2021, 07:06 AM)Admiral Wrote: Jack:  well, I'm still a whippersnapper at 68, was going to retire last year but with remote working, and since I didn't have to do the commute to the office, I thought I'd stick around for another year, and now its a year later..... still working but giving it serious thought and maybe in June or July I'll check out.  But I've still got the Medicare supplemental insurance nightmare to figure out yet as I see more than a few MDs . . . .  It may be this covid thing will be getting better with more people being vaccinated by the summer, so we'll see.

If you are clocking out this early, have savings for 6 months, until the paperwork is completed. Hopefully, you are not Gov'mt. They have no HR, or Retirement Dept, per Carrot Top. Via my wife's retirement, Blue Cross is covered and we don't worry. I was surprised to get a $100 bill for my shoulder replacement, however.

On the Covid front I think we are down to "do what you want." Well, I don't want two bouts of flu every year and masks made that 2-month misery a big Zero in 2020. Well worth the nuisance of wearing one; and continuing to do so. I'm not one for wearing thoughts on my chest but a version of "don't want your germs" over my face seems appropriate.

Besides, my dog will pass on Doggie Covid next.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Okay, I think this one has jumped the rails.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne