Finish for outdoor table?
Neighbor bought a pine outdoor table...slats on top...not solid.   Well, one week later, some of the slats are warping...she wants me to replace/ repair with new pine.    What is the best way to finish a pine outdoor table?   I have always been an advocate of oils, as they don't leave a finish that water can get under.    So, if I repair/ replace the slats...how would you all finish the table for outdoor use?
I'd use paint. A good oil based primer, and then top with a 100% acrylic exterior. Any clear finish will need maintenance over time that she is likely not going to do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-03-2021, 10:32 AM)AlanS Wrote: Neighbor bought a pine outdoor table...slats on top...not solid.   Well, one week later, some of the slats are warping...she wants me to replace/ repair with new pine.    What is the best way to finish a pine outdoor table?   I have always been an advocate of oils, as they don't leave a finish that water can get under.    So, if I repair/ replace the slats...how would you all finish the table for outdoor use?

I agree with prior post - paint would be best, but if clear finish is preferred then Spar Varnish
Losing battle, no matter what you use.  Paint will last the longest but don't expect more than 4 or 5 years before it's going to need maintenance.  The best solution is to cover the table when not in use.  And keep the legs off direct contact with the ground.  

John
(06-03-2021, 10:34 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'd use paint. A good oil based primer, and then top with a 100% acrylic exterior. Any clear finish will need maintenance over time that she is likely not going to do.

Agree with paint!

At least she usage it 3 to 4 years then it will we worthy for her!
(06-04-2021, 07:45 AM)Neiray89 Wrote: Agree with paint!

Jason????  Is that you?   You back on the forum?

(Bonus points to whomever gets that reference).
Dumber than I appear
(06-04-2021, 07:45 AM)Neiray89 Wrote: Agree with paint!

Spammer from LEASEWEB-USA-WDC

Gone
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.