Table Top Size
I'm making a bedside table and trying to work out final dimensions for the top.  I don't want a Shaker look with the very large overhang.  My question is 'how much' overhang?  And is the front/back overhang the same as the sides?  I'm thinking around 1.5" but would be interested in other folks opinions.  The base is almost 14" x 18".

Lonnie
Ours are about 20” wide, about 18” deep
Top overhang about 1” front and back, about 1 5/8” on the sides
Do you want the table top to rub against the wall or to have the feet rub against the quarter-round?

My preference is for the back legs/feet to rub against the quarter-round (or baseboard if there is no quarter-round) with a small gap between the top and the wall.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(06-10-2021, 05:39 PM)iclark Wrote: Do you want the table top to rub against the wall or to have the feet rub against the quarter-round?

My preference is for the back legs/feet to rub against the quarter-round (or baseboard if there is no quarter-round) with a small gap between the top and the wall.

Top will be about an inch from the wall.  Legs are straight so they will be out away from the quarter-round.
Front overhang should be about 3/4 of an inch, if you have a drawer. That way you can get into the drawer when it is pulled out. This from Kelly Mehler.

I usually do the back overhang to match the front, but if you want it away from the wall, you can make it with no overhang on the back.

As far as the side overhang is concerned, do what looks best to you.

However, I read an article once, perhaps by Jim Tolpin, or maybe in his By Hand and Eye book, which said to draw an arc from the top corner of the top drawer. Set your compass pencil to the bottom corner of the same drawer for the length of the radius. Draw the arc up to the top of the table, and that should be your overhang. In other words, make the overhang the length of the height of the top drawer.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
(06-10-2021, 11:18 PM)Martin S. Wrote: ...Set your compass pencil to the bottom corner of the same drawer for the length of the radius.  Draw the arc up to the top of the table, and that should be your overhang.  In other words, make the overhang the length of the height of the top drawer.

Man, that's hard to read at 5:00 am.  
Laugh
(06-10-2021, 05:44 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Top will be about an inch from the wall.  Legs are straight so they will be out away from the quarter-round.

No offense, but that placement has never been maintained in any of the households in our family.
Smile Over time, the tables have always migrated until something stopped them.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(06-11-2021, 05:01 AM)KC Wrote: Man, that's hard to read at 5:00 am.  
Laugh

Yes, I know, I did my best, but the concept is more easily explained with a picture.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
These night stands have tops that are 15X18.  The overhang is about an inch on the front and sides.  The back overhang less than one inch.

(06-10-2021, 04:16 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: .... My question is 'how much' overhang?  ....
Lonnie

Walk around in a large furniture store and look at the various tables, and see what appeals to your eye.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]