Plywood for Cabinets
I'm looking to make some end tables, that will basically be cabinet boxes with legs and drawers.  Is 1/2" ply sufficient for the boxes or do I need 3/4"?  Also, what is a good source for maple plywood?  Thanks.
1/2 is fine.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I agree the 1/2" will be fine. But no suggestions on a source. My dealer carries Columbia Forest Products cabinet grade ply and you might find a local dealer through them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-08-2021, 08:50 AM)badwhiskey Wrote: I'm looking to make some end tables, that will basically be cabinet boxes with legs and drawers.  Is 1/2" ply sufficient for the boxes or do I need 3/4"?  Also, what is a good source for maple plywood?  Thanks.

Finding a supplier that sells 1 or 2 sheets can be a problem. Some make friends with a cabinet shop and get the cabinet shop to order their sheet or two as part of the shop's larger order.
where are you located? I live in NJ, and there are a number of places that sell single sheets of hardwood veneer plywood at somewhat reasonable prices.

Any yard that sells regular plywood (not big box stores) should be able to source hardwood ply.
Jason
Mesurei, cutti, cursi

(08-09-2021, 07:56 AM)measurecutcurse Wrote: where are you located? I live in NJ, and there are a number of places that sell single sheets of hardwood veneer plywood at somewhat reasonable prices.

Any yard that sells regular plywood (not big box stores) should be able to source hardwood ply.

I'm in upstate NY.  My hardwood supplier doesn't sell ply.  But I think that a local building products place might.  They're not a big box, they are locally owned for over 50 years.
ML Condon, a major supplier of all grades of plywood headquartered in White Plains, NY also has a satellite location in Stormville, NY (Dutchess County).  If that is a reasonable drive for you, they will have anything you could require:

They list 28 species in four grades and in multiple thicknesses.

http://www.condonlumber.net/

Maurice Condon Co

4.025 Google reviews
Lumber store in Stormville, New York

Service options: In-store shopping · Delivery
Address: 55 S Green Haven Rd, Stormville, NY 12582
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 4:30PM
Phone: (845) 226-3040
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
See if you have a Hood supply in your area. They have a min. order but you can hit that in the blink of a eye.
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled
1/2" is fine structurally, but 3/4" is often not much more expensive and more readily available, is usually flatter, and is easier for attaching faceframes.  For rabett or dado construction I prefer 3/4" as well.   

John
(08-14-2021, 09:34 AM)jteneyck Wrote: 1/2" is fine structurally, but 3/4" is often not much more expensive and more readily available, is usually flatter, and is easier for attaching faceframes.  For rabett or dado construction I prefer 3/4" as well.   

John

Thanks to everyone who commented.  I ended up getting 3/4 because it's what my local supplier could get.  I do think it will make several of the design elements easier to execture.