Boggs Tools?
Has anyone bought anything from Boggs

This Boggs, not the spokeshave guy

or sent in files or rasps for sharpening lately?

I used to rely on them for the sharpest files I have ever used, for great prices, and very friendly people. However, last time I ordered something (was a while ago), I never received what I ordered. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine. Wondering was that just a fluke, or are they not so reliable now?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Only had files sharpened and it's been a few years since my last batch!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I had a great experience with them "sharpening" my files.  One time I called, Mr Boggs answered the call and talked  20 minutes about the NBA play offs.  That was several years ago and I'm pretty sure he has retired by now.

Sure hope someone continues that business.  Their web site looks up-to-date.

I have recomended Boggs to several.  Hope your luck improves.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Fully agree with what Bill posted! If they cannot sharpen your file, they will paint the tang with a red slash so they know not to try it again. You will not be charged and the file returned, still sharper than when you sent it.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-26-2021, 12:01 PM)Aram Wrote: Has anyone bought anything from Boggs

This Boggs, not the spokeshave guy

or sent in files or rasps for sharpening lately?

I used to rely on them for the sharpest files I have ever used, for great prices, and very friendly people. However, last time I ordered something (was a while ago), I never received what I ordered. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine. Wondering was that just a fluke, or are they not so reliable now?

I just sent in a batch of 19 files and rasps back in July. Turn-around  time was about 3 weeks, and the files were SHARP!
There were 3 in that batch that didn't meet their standards after sharpening. Those were marked with red paint on the tang, and returned with a $.50 ea. service charge.
I've used Boggs for years, and highly recommend them.
Rick W
(08-28-2021, 05:03 PM)RickW Wrote: I just sent in a batch of 19 files and rasps back in July. Turn-around  time was about 3 weeks, and the files were SHARP!
There were 3 in that batch that didn't meet their standards after sharpening. Those were marked with red paint on the tang, and returned with a $.50 ea. service charge.
I've used Boggs for years, and highly recommend them.
Rick W

That is great to hear. I'll give them a call next week, thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Boggs would be THE place to have a file or rasp resharpened. They will do a much better job than the ubiquitous vinegar soak. And they will tell you if your file or rasp cannot be sharpened. Old stock files are definitely worth risking having Boggs try their magic on them. They were made much better than most recent production shaping tools. You can pick up rusty or spent files and rasps for dirt cheap at estate sales or antique shops, and after a Boggs sharpening, they'll work better than most brand new production tools.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've been sending files to Boggs for several years and have been very pleased with their service. When I heard that other people have been having issues lately, I got concerned.

I sent an email late last week to enquire on their status and this is the reply I received this afternoon. Whew!

Dear Bob,

Yes, we are still open and conducting business as usual.  Rumors are just that, rumors.  Depending on which search engine you use.  I believe it showed “closed now” as our hours show closed from 11:30a.m. to 12:30p.m.  We have since changed some this on our website so hopefully that helps. 

By all means send us your files and we will be more than happy to send them back in better, if not new, condition.

Thank you,

Elisa Worrell
Boggs Tool Company
14100 Orange Avenue
Paramount, CA 90723
(562) 634-1081
Fax (562) 634-0839
Email:  Boggstool1@aol.com
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(08-30-2021, 05:11 PM)enjuneer Wrote: I've been sending files to Boggs for several years and have been very pleased with their service. When I heard that other people have been having issues lately, I got concerned.

I sent an email late last week to enquire on their status and this is the reply I received this afternoon. Whew!

Dear Bob,

Yes, we are still open and conducting business as usual.  Rumors are just that, rumors.  Depending on which search engine you use.  I believe it showed “closed now” as our hours show closed from 11:30a.m. to 12:30p.m.  We have since changed some this on our website so hopefully that helps. 

By all means send us your files and we will be more than happy to send them back in better, if not new, condition.

Thank you,

Elisa Worrell
Boggs Tool Company
14100 Orange Avenue
Paramount, CA 90723
(562) 634-1081
Fax (562) 634-0839
Email:  Boggstool1@aol.com
I called in a new order for files today. We will see how that goes. Once I get them, I'll send in my overdue ones from my stash.

Thanks, all. Hopefully my last experience was a fluike.
Best,
Aram, always learning

I just received a box of 37 files that I sent to Boggs a couple of weeks ago. While 7 of them were rejected for various reasons, the 30 others are clean, sharp, and ready for work. The total cost with shipping from California to Michigan was $87. They did not require prepayment for the work, but sent the files with a Net 30 invoice. I will be sure to send them a check immediately.

They are still good at what they do.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com