ever set your tablesaw at 42" off the ground?
I'm setting up shop in a 1 car garage space and I'm trying to arrange the table-saw and outfeed and bench so that they'd all be the same height but I also want the table saw positioned down closer the garage door and the bench up toward the back, and of course being a garage, it's a sloped floor. 

Having everything laid out as I'd prefer them to be would require the table saw be at 42" vs. the ~35" I'm used to.  Same height as my bandsaw table actually.. I'm wondering have any of you worked with the tablesaw higher up than normal and found any pros/cons of doing so?

thanks!
My Unisaw table surface is higher than most at 40" off the floor. My Unisaw stock height would be 34" if the cabinet base was set on the floor. I'm 6'1" or thereabouts and I like the height of the saw 99% of the time. For me, it helps my back that I'm not leaning over all the time when using the saw. With that, it takes awhile to get adjusted to the height and learning what your natural reach is and how to maneuver around the saw. I wouldn't go back to a lower saw set-up but at the same time I probably wouldn't go any higher than 40" considering my height and reach.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(09-10-2021, 02:56 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: My Unisaw table surface is higher than most at 40" off the floor. My Unisaw stock height would be 34" if the cabinet base was set on the floor. I'm 6'1" or thereabouts and I like the height of the saw 99% of the time. For me, it helps my back that I'm not leaning over all the time when using the saw. With that, it takes awhile to get adjusted to the height and learning what your natural reach is and how to maneuver around the saw. I wouldn't go back to a lower saw set-up but at the same time I probably wouldn't go any higher than 40" considering my height and reach.

Good to hear. I'm 6'3 and also have a Unisaw which has been at ~35" for me in its mobile base. I'd have to build a base for it to position it another 7 inches.. I see what you mean about reach though.
I put my Unisaw on a custom base because the original was rotted out.  It's set at about 36" high, the same as my off-feed work bench.  For the work I do I need a large landing zone for stuff coming off the saw.  42" would be far too high for my work bench; then again, I'm only 5' 11" tall.  

John
Go  for it.  Mine is at 41 inches.  I set it up that way so I could put the jointer behind it, set with the jointer tables perpendicular to the TS, and because the top of the fence on the jointer is at 40 inches, I built a base for the TS , so stock would pass over the jointer fence.  Works fine for me.
    [attachment=37719][attachment=37719][attachment=37719][attachment=37719][attachment=37719]I have my work bench at 38" and my radial saw next to it at 43" I like the height a lot. Gets these old eyes closer to the work.
Being higher than bench, I don't have to clean the bench off to cut longer boards. I have a couple of blocks of wood that fit in dog holes in the bench to support longer boards.
Unisaw is norman height.  I'm 5'11"
Yeah I know about the powerstrips and cords! All for led lights, and pencil sharpener.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
At 42", you run a higher risk of getting hit in the face if any kickback happens. Wear a face shield that also covers your neck whenever you use the saw, if you must go with that height.

I'd try a different solution, and keep the saw at its normal height, one that the saw is designed for.

Simon
<p>
(09-10-2021, 02:13 PM)mound Wrote: I'm setting up shop in a 1 car garage space and I'm trying to arrange the table-saw and outfeed and bench so that they'd all be the same height but I also want the table saw positioned down closer the garage door and the bench up toward the back, and of course being a garage, it's a sloped floor.&nbsp;

Having everything laid out as I'd prefer them to be would require the table saw be at 42" vs. the ~35" I'm used to.&nbsp; Same height as my bandsaw table actually.. I'm wondering have any of you worked with the tablesaw higher up than normal and found any pros/cons of doing so?

thanks!

</p><p><br></p><p>Isn't the usual height for a table saw about the same height as your belt? <br></p>
There are situations where you lean over the saw (like to change blades).  It is easier for most people to lean over a 35" table than a 42" table.    It is also easier to use some push blocks from an elevated position. 

My  pushblocks are all made from 3/4" thick MDF and are shaped like a triangle.  So I am pushing down as well as forward.  That would be more difficult if the saw was higher.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My comfortable work height depends on the machine. Drill press and Super 900 ras are 41-42", BUT, there is no reaching.
Unisaw is 36", its comfortable for me, wouldn't want it any higher.

FWIW, l'm 5'-7" with bad eyes.....ones bifocals make a difference in machine height. Take the drill press, one is working close, height needs to be in the focus zone to easily find your center mark, 41" is perfect for me.

Table saw is different, one needs enough reach to feed the board past the blade safely and comfortably.

Ed