wiring/conduit question
I want to put two independent 220v circuits in my garage shop on a wall opposite from the service panel.  (Requiring a somewhat twisty path to get there from the panel). Would you use independent conduit runs for each or use a single conduit and run the 4 hots, 2 neutrals and 1 ground  (THHN wires) through that single conduit? If so, do I need to use different colors for each of their hots?
I would run one conduit with 2 reds, 2 blacks, 2 whites and green. An ohmmeter would allow you to match a red and black and white in a heartbeat. Why are you running neutrals?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(09-13-2021, 11:17 AM)mound Wrote: I want to put two independent 220v circuits in my garage shop on a wall opposite from the service panel.  (Requiring a somewhat twisty path to get there from the panel). Would you use independent conduit runs for each or use a single conduit and run the 4 hots, 2 neutrals and 1 ground  (THHN wires) through that single conduit? If so, do I need to use different colors for each of their hots?

what is the current of the outlets ?
you have to size the conduit and wire
south vietnam war collage
(09-13-2021, 12:01 PM)blackhat Wrote: I would run one conduit with 2 reds, 2 blacks, 2 whites and green. An ohmmeter would allow you to match a red and black and white in a heartbeat.  Why are you running neutrals?

Thanks..  My thinking on including the white was to allow for switching back to 110v if/as needed without having to fake it with two blacks.. is that not recommended? I know 220v doesn't require a neutral as the two hots work together to accomplish the same end (as I understand it)
(09-13-2021, 12:16 PM)JIMB49 Wrote: what is the current of the outlets ?
you have to size the conduit and wire

Understood. Was planning to use 10g wire for 30amp circuits. (edit: I meant to say 20amp, not 30amp)
(09-13-2021, 12:46 PM)mound Wrote: Understood. Was planning to use 10g wire for 30amp circuits.

so you need 3/4 pipe that will hold 10 #10's 
1/2 will only hold 5 
use a lil  wire lube too
just a tip from a old man
south vietnam war collage
The unused conductors will count against your box and pipe fill. How handy would another 120 over there be?  Considering the little bit of extra work and cost, I might be inclined to do that in the same run.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(09-13-2021, 01:49 PM)blackhat Wrote: The unused conductors will count against your box and pipe fill.

True
(09-13-2021, 01:49 PM)blackhat Wrote: How handy would another 120 over there be?  

Now that I think of it, very handy!
(09-13-2021, 12:54 PM)JIMB49 Wrote: so you need 3/4 pipe that will hold 10 #10's 
1/2 will only hold 5 
use a lil  wire lube too
just a tip from a old man

Why 10 conductors for two circuits?

(09-13-2021, 01:49 PM)blackhat Wrote: The unused conductors will count against your box and pipe fill. How handy would another 120 over there be?  Considering the little bit of extra work and cost, I might be inclined to do that in the same run.

But be aware if you exceed 3 current carrying conductors you have to adjust the ampacity of the wire.  In the case of thwn #10 copper, initial value of 40 amps:   with 4-6 ccc = 80% -> 32 amps, no issue;  7-9 ccc =70% -> 28 amps, need to upsize your wire.
side question, if it were you in your own garage shop, would you use metal or PVC conduit?