Downsizing table saw
Hi all,

I'm a senior woodworker looking to downsize my table saw. I currently have a Unisaw which I have had for many years and  will be giving to my son. I work out of my garage and need something a bit smaller and easier to move around. I would like something a bit better than the jobsite saws but don't want to spend over @ $700.
I have been looking at the Rigid R4520 and TS3650 which I have seen used and almost new for between $350 and $600.

The Grizzley Go771Z might be a little heavy for me and over budget.

Anyone have experience with the Rigid saws or other suggestions would be appreciated?

Tom
Tom
Unisaws without the large tables are very compact.  Smaller than a contractor saw.  Jobsite saws have universal motor so you will have to learn to love the scream.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Between the two Ridgid saws the TS3650 would be an easy choice if it were me. If it's in good shape, a close inspection between the two, will easily show you that it's a much higher quality saw then the R4520. If the stock herc-u-lift mobile base on the TS3650 is in good working order you could easily move that saw around with one hand.
I ran a 3650 for quite a while. It was a used one that was an upgrade from my cheapo Craftsman. I actually had it in my basement shop at the old house. Getting it down there took a bit of disassembly.

Since it's a thin-kerf saw, the lower power still cuts quite well. It seemed to do just fine with a combo blade for everything. Looking back, I probably should have had a ripping blade as well.

It had a nice capacity for the size. I did rig the dust collection to collect from the whole "cabinet" area instead of just the blade area. I also built a short outfeed table for it that was attached to the saw. It made a big difference.

The only downside was no riving knife. If you use the factory guard/splitter, it fills the need.

I did have to replace the motor start cap at one point. It kept tripping the breaker at startup. Not a big deal.

I sold it for about what I had in it. I would not hesitate to get that one if it fulfills the size you need and it's in good shape for the price. I got mine cheap because it had some soda can rings on the table. I was able to get it all smooth, it just wasn't pretty.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I actually upgraded to a Unisaw because it took less space than a contractor saw.  I could pass it through a 36" door where you could not do that with a contractor saw due to the motor hanging off the back.  The important part is to have a mobile base that is easy to use.  Hard large wheels make for easier moving.
Lots of good used saws usually on Craigslist
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(11-13-2021, 12:21 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: I ran a 3650 for quite a while. It was a used one that was an upgrade from my cheapo Craftsman. I actually had it in my basement shop at the old house. Getting it down there took a bit of disassembly.

Since it's a thin-kerf saw, the lower power still cuts quite well. It seemed to do just fine with a combo blade for everything. Looking back, I probably should have had a ripping blade as well.

It had a nice capacity for the size. I did rig the dust collection to collect from the whole "cabinet" area instead of just the blade area.  I also built a short outfeed table for it that was attached to the saw. It made a big difference.

The only downside was no riving knife. If you use the factory guard/splitter, it fills the need.

I did have to replace the motor start cap at one point. It kept tripping the breaker at startup. Not a big deal.

I sold it for about what I had in it. I would not hesitate to get that one if it fulfills the size you need and it's in good shape for the price. I got mine cheap because it had some soda can rings on the table. I was able to get it all smooth, it just wasn't pretty.
Tom
I found a slightly used TS 3650 (about a year old) on CL for $450 and I'm leaning in that direction. I'm 72 years old and even though the footprint of the 3650 is larger than a unisaw,
the weight of the unisaw is considerably more and I wont be going through any doors. The weight would definitely be a factor when I have to transport it to my garage. Also, the used prices around here are just too high for a Unisaw. I'd like to stay around $500.

I do have a concern that since the Rigid is a discontinued model, it may be difficult to get parts. Anyone had an issue with getting parts?
Tom
I also just saw a CL posting for a Delta 36-725 for $450. Delta 36-725 vs Rigid TS 3650?
Tom
"I do have a concern that since the Rigid is a discontinued model, it may be difficult to get parts. Anyone had an issue with getting parts?"

You can look at ereplacementparts to see what's still available. When my capacitor died, I found a generic one with the same specs. The switch is the same as a lot of other Ridgid tools.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.