Stropping State-of-the-Art
Does a cloth wheel on my 6" grinder, charged with a green stick...count as stropping?  I also have an old, leather work belt, that is also charged with that green stick...all depends on whether I want to drag the grinder back out...hmmm...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-08-2021, 06:48 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Does a cloth wheel on my 6" grinder, charged with a green stick...count as stropping?  I also have an old, leather work belt, that is also charged with that green stick...all depends on whether I want to drag the grinder back out...hmmm...

Does a cloth wheel on my 6" grinder, charged with a green stick...count as stropping?

Yep...power stropping...Drag it out..it's worth the trouble...I have a two-speed grinder next to me that has a CBN wheel on one side and an 8"X 1 1/2" muslin buff on the other. But the 6" buff will work like a champ..If you haven't done it before on a cloth wheel, be very careful not to let the edge stab into the rotation of the buff..it can hurt you bad..but with your experience, you very likely already know that.
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have stropped with clean leather since 1965.
I can't sharpen a knife to save my you know what, but the sharpest pocketknife I ever had was from a guy stropping it on the rolled edge of his driver side window on his pickup truck. I'm exaggerating a bit, but he could take a knife from cut paper sharp to shave hair sharp by stropping on the glass edge. He'd do it on his lunch break sitting in his truck smoking camels.
(12-13-2021, 05:17 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: I can't sharpen a knife to save my you know what, but the sharpest pocketknife I ever had was from a guy stropping it on the rolled edge of his driver side window on his pickup truck. I'm exaggerating a bit, but he could take a knife from cut paper sharp to shave hair sharp by stropping on the glass edge. He'd do it on his lunch break sitting in his truck smoking camels.

Glass is typically harder than steel, so it's possible it's sharpening the knife.  It would be an interesting experiment to see how effective that might be.  I've also seen people sharpen knives using the (ceramic) unglazed bottom of a coffee cup (including myself).
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-13-2021, 12:15 PM)wmickley Wrote: I have stropped with clean leather since 1965.

Warren, I'm assuming you're using oil stones for sharpening?  And your chisels are vintage steel?  One thing I've learned is there are some silicates in cowhide that provide some abrasive properties to the strop.  Barbers got straight razors pretty sharp for decades using untreated strops.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-13-2021, 06:18 PM)AHill Wrote: Warren, I'm assuming you're using oil stones for sharpening?  And your chisels are vintage steel?  One thing I've learned is there are some silicates in cowhide that provide some abrasive properties to the strop.  Barbers got straight razors pretty sharp for decades using untreated strops.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Decades? We have been using strops for razors for millennia. 

Silica in cowhide? Documentation?
Here is something else to think about...

When I am sitting down at the bench, chopping joints with a chisel.....a quick "strop" just using the pants leg of my jeans...and back to chopping.....just some old blue jeans I wear to the shop...aka .."Work Clothes".   maybe 4 or 5 strokes on the bevel, a couple on the back of the chisel....and back to work.

YMMV....
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-13-2021, 06:30 PM)wmickley Wrote: Silica in cowhide? Documentation?

Silica content in leather:

https://favoredleather.com/what-leather-...r-a-strop/
https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articleh...c7ra01160a

Silicates find their way into leather during the tanning process.  Some knife geeks believe the residual silica provides some abrasive qualities to the strop.  Linen naturally contains silica, and linen is one of the stropping materials used by barbers.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-14-2021, 07:47 AM)AHill Wrote: Silica content in leather:

https://favoredleather.com/what-leather-...r-a-strop/
https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articleh...c7ra01160a

Silicates find their way into leather during the tanning process.  Some knife geeks believe the residual silica provides some abrasive qualities to the strop.  Linen naturally contains silica, and linen is one of the stropping materials used by barbers.

It sounds like you have no idea of the difference between silica, SiO2 (hard) and silicates (soft).