Solar Electric Fence recommendations?
I’m in the market for a decent, solar powered electric fence charger. I need to deter deer from a large garden and from what I’ve read I need a good 1 joule output to deter the deer.
Lots of options out there, but what would you recommend or not based on your experience?
As always looking for the best bang, or shock in this case, for the buck ?
Thanks!
Ray
What will keep deer from just jumping it?

You either need:
8' high with enough rows
multiple rows with offset heights
OR...what I've done: single strand with tin square every several feet and smear peanut butter on those squares.

Peanut butter fence:
https://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/ROA-T...070291.htm

Then the question is how long is your fence? That has a lot to do with power needed.

FWIW, I thought I'd try to use the nylon fence with small wire in in so I could just squeeze PB into the fabric. PB doesn't last longer and fence gives a weaker jolt, so just use regular fence wire.
Hey Joe
thanks!

There are four lines with about 7 ft high to the top wire.
The garden is about 45 x 70 - so about 230 ft around x four rows so about 920 ft of 12g wire plus connecting wire between the rows - first row is about 18" from the ground, then every 20-24" to each row up from there. So not that much wire to be charged - given that these charges are usually rated for x miles.

Peanut butter - yes!!! I've done that on a previous garden at my old house just like you said. Need to train the deer early to just stay away. Never had an issue with deer after I put up that fence.
That previous fence had access to A/C but this one does not, so I need a solar generator for this one. I don't know how many joules output it had, but that previous fence gave a good jolt when I haphazardly touched it once and it would set off a proximity electric tester from 5 feet away!

I mistakenly bought a solar fence charger that has insufficient joules. It only puts out about 0.06 joules and I can hold my hand to it without discomfort as it pulses every two seconds with less jolt than a 9v battery to the tongue, so that's not going to deter anything.
I just read yesterday that the fence needs at least 0.6 joules to deter deer with a good 1 joule being more effective. I found some that have up to 2 joules output.
I'm just fishing for recommendations based on personal experience here.
Ray
So the smallest one will work.  Most small ones will charge 2 miles of fence
(05-02-2022, 10:14 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I’m in the market for a decent, solar powered electric fence charger. I need to deter deer from a large garden and from what I’ve read I need a good 1 joule output to deter the deer.
Lots of options out there, but what would you recommend or not based on your experience?
As always looking for the best bang, or shock in this case, for the buck ?
Thanks!

I have raised sheep for decades and fence with electric.  Gallagher makes quality products.   Available from most farm supply.  There is a fencing place in Iowa, name escapes me, that specializes in fencing for all sorts of animals.  They have studied deer fencing and have many products and fencing schemes tailored to deer.   My favorite is an apple bait hung on the fence.  Lick, ZAP. Diabolical!
Bill Tindall
Dogwood, did you decide on a specific product yet?  I was watching this thread hoping for some insight.  I too need to keep deer out of an area where there is no AC present.  My area isn't very big - say maybe 40'x40'.  I have looked and it seems anything in the 1 joule range is several hundred dollars.  I was hoping to get by in the $150 range.  If your fence is very short does it increase the potency of the shock?  Just wondering what you came up with.  Thanks.