Need input
I built an endgrain cutting board in a basket weave pattern. I have left over pieces and am considering gluing them together and turning a pepper mill. Any thoughts as to possible problems with turning such a piece? I have concerns as to whether or not it would hold together.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
As a knee-jerk reaction, I think that my first attempt would be to do the glue-up so that the grain is oriented parallel to the axis of turning.

Depending on how big your cutoffs are, trying to do tapers so that you are doing stave turning might be hazardous to your fingers.

Most kits want a 1" or slightly larger hole down the length. When doing the glue-up, it is good to think about how easy it will be for a Forstner bit to track down the center and not get kicked off-axis by blocks on opposite sides that are significantly different in how a Forstner bit cuts into them. As an extreme example, a Forstner bit does not want to stay in the glue joint if the 2 blocks are hickory and balsa.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(05-25-2022, 04:17 PM)iclark Wrote: As a knee-jerk reaction, I think that my first attempt would be to do the glue-up so that the grain is oriented parallel to the axis of turning.

Depending on how big your cutoffs are, trying to do tapers so that you are doing stave turning might be hazardous to your fingers.

Most kits want a 1" or slightly larger hole down the length. When doing the glue-up, it is good to think about how easy it will be for a Forstner bit to track down the center and not get kicked off-axis by blocks on opposite sides that are significantly different in how a Forstner bit cuts into them. As an extreme example, a Forstner bit does not want to stay in the glue joint if the 2 blocks are hickory and balsa.

Bore the holes prior to assembly in the face or end, as you prefer. 

Or leave a 1" square and laminate round and round, using solid only where it must be.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Do you have a picture of the pieces that you are talking about?
The worst case scenario is that it comes apart when turning and you have a pile of pieces and a learning experience. The best case is that you get a unique mill.

Go for it. You gain something either way.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(05-26-2022, 07:14 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: The worst case scenario is that it comes apart when turning and you have  a pile of pieces and a learning experience.  The best case is that you get a unique mill.

Go for it.  You gain something either way.

+1

other than adding to be sure to stay out of the danger zone when doing the turning and be sure to wear a good face shield and safety glasses.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(05-25-2022, 03:53 PM)firefighter Wrote: I built an endgrain cutting board in a basket weave pattern. I have left over pieces and am considering gluing them together and turning a pepper mill. Any thoughts as to possible problems with turning such a piece? I have concerns as to whether or not it would hold together.

I have glued up a lot of preglued items and never any problems just make sure all areas are flat before glueing for best contact and holding.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-28-2022, 03:01 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have glued up a lot of preglued items and never any problems just make sure all areas are flat before glueing for best contact and holding.

If gluing endgrain to endgrain orientation, I'd use a couple of 1/8" dowels to help out, if the pieces are of size that will allow it.  The jig you use on your drillpress can help get your assemblies aligned.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.