Mortise and pestle questions
I was asked to turn a set for a coworker so they can crush their coffee beans. Was leaning toward cherry or maple. I guessing a smaller size. Is there a ratio for dimensions. Maybe I’ll stop by the kitchen store and take my tape along. Should I use any butcher block or other oil on the inside. If I can’t get a blank thick enough any thoughts on a glue up. Thanks
I’ve only done one mortar & pestle, used Texas Ebony, sanded up through MicroMesh pads. Used no finish of any kind an holding up nicely. Won’t speak to proportions, I needed one, put one in an online cart, then realized I could just make the tool I needed. Good luck.
earl
(05-31-2022, 06:23 PM)whatline Wrote: I was asked to turn a set for a coworker so they can crush their coffee beans. Was leaning toward cherry or maple. I guessing a smaller size. Is there a ratio for dimensions. Maybe I’ll stop by the kitchen store and take my tape along. Should I use any butcher block or other oil on the inside. If I can’t get a blank thick enough any thoughts on a glue up. Thanks

The beans will leave oil behind, so hard maple and bare is my suggestion.   End grain up, of course.  Ones I've done were`~4.5" inside dimension, total of <6" so a medium hand could control them even without undercutting the base too much.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
+1 on the hard maple or a harder wood. Cherry is way too soft.

To check to see if a wood you are considering is hard enough, you can put a coffee bean down on it (side grain) and crush (not pound) it with a mallet. If the bean dents the wood before it gets crushed, then the wood is too soft.

also plus 1 on the bare on the inside. What (if any) finish for the outside would depend on the wood. I tend toward walnut oil, but there is likely something better.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks all,
To get the thickness l may need to glue a few blocks together. I’d like to start with at least 6”. Is that an issue? Otherwise I’lll wait for a log I can dry.
I've only done two.  Gave away the nicer one.  The one we have is 5" wide, 4" high, the wall is about 3/4", and is end-grain hard maple glue-up.  Inside is treated with mineral oil to prevent staining, the outside has a poly finish.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood