Red Oak / White Oak
I have a stockpile of oak. Enough I think for my next project, which is an outdoor glider. I would like to use white oak, but I don't know one from the other. Can you tell the difference between white and red oak by looking at it? Or any other way?

Thanks  Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(06-05-2022, 12:09 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: I have a stockpile of oak. Enough I think for my next project, which is an outdoor glider. I would like to use white oak, but I don't know one from the other. Can you tell the difference between white and red oak by looking at it? Or any other way?

Thanks  Greg

Look at the end grain. If you can see holes with the naked eye ( they will appear open), its likely part of the red oak family. White oak will look more solid (or filled with something, which they are) (and obvious next to red)

You're right on wanting to use white on the outdoor project. Red wont last long outdoors.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

White oak has a tallow color.  Red oak varies but almost always has a red tone.  If you sand the boards a little, white oak will smell like wine casks, red oak won't.  The most definitive way to tell one from the other requires cutting a little piece about 3" long with the grain, and roughly 1/4 to 1/2" square.  Blow into the end of the piece with the other end in a glass of water.  With red oak you can blow bubbles.  With white oak you will turn blue trying.  

John
What they mentioned above are the most common ways to identify red from white oak, and thy work really well. But if you have a "stockpile", it might be easier to buy some sodium nitrate, mix a solution, and spray a small spot on each board. The solution won't have a lot of effect on red oak, but on white oak you will see a color change that will eventually turn very dark, almost black. Sodium nitrate is in a crystal form, available from a number of places (includng Amazon) and instructions are available on the internet....here's one explanation.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I find that the shade is different (red oak definitely has a mild orange tint to it). But the most noticeable is the smell when cut. Red oak is very distinctive. I don't know how to describe it, but you know it when you cut it
Quote:The most definitive way to tell one from the other requires cutting a little piece about 3" long with the grain, and roughly 1/4 to 1/2" square.  Blow into the end of the piece with the other end in a glass of water.  With red oak you can blow bubbles.  With white oak you will turn blue trying.  
John is right here. There are several species of trees that are sold as "Red" or "White" Oak, even though those also are specific species themselves. Logs from closely related species can be sold to the sawmill as that, and would take a real wood guru to tell the difference. And for practical purposes you won't notice. 

So they can be hard to ID visually as different species / sites and even individual trees can have different colours. 

But the open channels in "red" oak species is the giveaway. 

Page from the wood database. Has pictures of the various woods in each group, and they are varied.  Easier to tell if you can see the tree, and look at the leaves. But sorting through a random wood stash, not so  easy. 

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic...white-oak/
Cut some samples of your stash on the tablesaw. White oak has a very distinct "pungent" smell that is unique to the species. Red Oak does not. Once you determine which of your samples are white oak due to the smell, the rest of the white oak will become evident.

Doug
(06-05-2022, 12:55 PM)jteneyck Wrote: White oak has a tallow color.  Red oak varies but almost always has a red tone.  If you sand the boards a little, white oak will smell like wine casks, red oak won't.  The most definitive way to tell one from the other requires cutting a little piece about 3" long with the grain, and roughly 1/4 to 1/2" square.  Blow into the end of the piece with the other end in a glass of water.  With red oak you can blow bubbles.  With white oak you will turn blue trying.  

John
 I was told that method years ago, works every time. I received about 20+ oak boards from 2 different sources. My neighbors sister-in-laws family had a logging and sawmill company. She taught him that method. He related it to me.
mike
https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/oak-l...te-or-red/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
As mentioned earlier, I want to make a glider. It seems the oak I have stockpiled is red oak. Maybe this question has an answer, maybe not, but I'll ask anyway. If I make this outdoor glider out of red oak, and put One Time wood finish on it, how long can I reasonably expect it to last? Five years? It will be stored inside in winters.

Thanks Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.