blown in wall insulation
Filling all the spaces between the studs is questionable. There are firebreaks and other cross pieces. Also, have you read about the insulation getting compacted over time. It’s loose when you blow it in, but then it settles.
very few if any fire breaks in these walls.

the idea with cellulose blown-in insulation is to pack it in as tight as possible.  Cellulose is good for something like 20-30 years....by then I don't care.

the other option is to tear off all the sheetrock, put in batt insulation and re-sheetrock.  that's just not going to happen.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Maybe I missed it, but can you do it easier from the outside? I think lower utility bills over the next couple years would make a nice selling point. Cellulose is supposed to be more resistant to air flow than fiberglass.

Could you rent, borrow, or purchase an "infrared" camera for when you insulate? That would help you see if your wall was filled with insulation and show any voids.
(09-21-2022, 08:11 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Maybe I missed it, but can you do it easier from the outside?  I think lower utility bills over the next couple years would make a nice selling point.  Cellulose is supposed to be more resistant to air flow than fiberglass. 

Could you rent, borrow, or purchase an "infrared" camera for when you insulate?  That would help you see if your wall was filled with insulation and show any voids.

You did , his walls are clad with stucco.
(09-21-2022, 08:43 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: You did , his walls are clad with stucco.

not just clad with stucco, but stucco over wood siding.  when the previous owner had the stucco done, they didn't bother to pull things away from the wood, they just embedded them in the stucco.

I've had two propane regulators go bad...had to carefully chip those out of the stucco, redo the piping to make the regulators sit on top of the stucco and then go back and patch the stucco.

some of the many funky things the previous owner did...

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(09-22-2022, 09:56 AM)meackerman Wrote: not just clad with stucco, but stucco over wood siding………….

some of the many funky things the previous owner did...

Figures, the same person would choose not to insulate their walls.
the house was owned by a different person when it was built and no insulation was put in the walls....which is the time to do it.  1978.  wall insulation wasn't in wide spread use around here yet.

The owner that succo'd the house, put insulation in the walls on the addition they added.

Mark

The cellulose is worth it for the air sealing alone. Features like keeping fires from spreading and sound control are just extra. All machines are not created equal and I’d hope the professional could pack it in tighter so there would be less settling. They have the ability to control both feed rate and the cfm of air pushing the cellulose through the hose. For a wall you want the air turned up as high as possible and feed rate cut down. You have control over neither with the Home Depot machine. An equipment rental place might have a better machine. If you’re going to be out in a couple years I personally wouldn’t bother, but you would see a huge benefit from using even from a homeowner quality machine.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(09-24-2022, 03:38 AM)EatenByLimestone Wrote:  If you’re going to be out in a couple years I personally wouldn’t bother, but you would see a huge benefit  from using even from a homeowner quality machine.

how quickly things change....looks like the timetable for moving has been moved up to next year.  So I don't see a point in spending time and money on this anymore.

Mark

Better to find out now than just after the insulation job!
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy