Milwaukee Close Quarter Drill
(10-24-2022, 01:36 PM)iclark Wrote: It had not occurred to me that a driver would be able to stand up to the extended run time needed for sanding. Based on the website that you linked, the manufacturer seems to think that it will.

As you get more experience with it, please let us know how it holds up. Does it start to get hot to the touch?

The Grex 120* angle gives me more access than I would get to the inside of a bowl if I used one of my 90* drill/drivers because I haven't been doing large enough bowls to reach all of the interior with the 90*.

i don't remember it getting hot, but i'll update once i really beat it up some more.  it's got 4 speeds, and i did have to be careful to make sure i wasn't cranked up too high  --  that pad would just pancake as soon as i hit the trigger.  
Laugh
(10-24-2022, 05:41 PM)hairy Wrote: I buy drills at yard sales. Usually 1 or 2 dollars.

I used many air tools back in my working days. I'm probably guilty of over oiling. That keeps me from using them on at the lathe.

The guy who introduced me to air tools taught me to drip 2 drops of oil into the tool before I connect the air hose. I have not had an issue with oil getting on my turnings.

Of course, in full disclosure, my favorite bowl finish is walnut oil.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
If you need more power <insert Tim Taylor Tooltime laugh > there are adapters like this that turn your angle grinder into a power sander.
The downside is that an angle grinder is heavier to hold.

https://woodturnerswonders.com/products/...e-grinders
(11-02-2022, 08:25 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: If you need more power <insert Tim Taylor Tooltime laugh > there are adapters like this that turn your angle grinder into a power sander.
The downside is that an angle grinder is heavier to hold.

https://woodturnerswonders.com/products/...e-grinders

You are spot on, my angle grinder is way too heavy for bowl sanding.  I ended up buying the blue angle drill by woodturnerswonders.com.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Scenery Maker, does that front exhaust interfere or help with your dust collection when sanding?
(11-03-2022, 08:39 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Scenery Maker, does that front exhaust interfere or help with your dust collection when sanding?

It blows the dust away.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.