Tusked Trestle Table Design?
(11-02-2022, 10:10 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I agree with this. You can decide if routing the bottom is required or not. With nothing to really keep the top flat; I would finish the bottom exactly the same as the top. (i.e. same sanding and # of coats.)

Oh yeah, the bottom of any table gets sealed just as the top is. The point of the breadboard ends is to keep it flat while allowing it to expand and contract with humidity changes.
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-03-2022, 11:06 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Oh yeah, the bottom of any table gets sealed just as the top is.  The point of the breadboard ends is to keep it flat while allowing it to expand and contract with humidity changes.

I agree, but that does seem to be as arguable as whether or not one has to put ground wires in a dust collection system.
Winkgrin

Yeah, the breadboard tries to fight the cupping of the overall table or its segments that occur because the table top segments are never perfectly quarter-sawn.

An additional advantage of the breadboard end is that it is nicer for the people sitting at the head and foot of the table. Pure end grain table ends make it easier to snag or splinter the edges with the end grain. (just my personal opinion, of course)
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Atgcpaul suggested a metal strap between the legs on each end of the table. You could inlet into the bottom of the top an angle iron- 90 degree angle and all and attach it between the leg tops. If you are worried about the ability of the breadboard ends to minimize bowing or cupping of the top this would really help. The angle iron could remain attached to the top of the legs and be attached to the table top with three or four slotted screws. Knockdown would require removing the bottom tusk and stretcher and the three or four slotted top screws on each table end.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!