Delta shaper cutters
I've been building up my shop machinery corral after a cross country move left me without access to a friend's shop. The latest aquisition is a nice used Delta 43-355 shaper and a bunch of Delta cutters, both carbide or HSS.  After much Googling, I can't come up with any documentation on them.  Ebay will yield an occasional auction for one of them, but what I was really hoping for was a chart or catalog showing the catalog numbers and diagrams and identification. Some of them of course one can figure out, such as panel raisers, quarter rounds, rabbeting...but there are what appears to be a few sets of rail/stile stacks I'd like to have more info about if possible.

Anyone have something?

Thanks,

John

Attached Files Image(s)

IME, many of Deltas profiles were not standard. They don't match any others on the market.
Trying to match something made with them is futile...

Ed
(02-16-2023, 01:49 PM)EdL Wrote: IME, many of Deltas profiles were not standard. They don't match any others on the market.
Trying to match something made with them is futile...

Ed
You can check this out: shaper.pdf (vintagemachinery.org)
Around page 11 there's a partial list of cutters.
If you do a google search: delta shaper cutter chart, you will find some others to look at.
Hope that helps.
All outdated cutters you have there.

Contact Ballew Tools in Springfield, MO. They've been a Delta tool dealer for years. May have a chart on those.
https://ballewsaw.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxbe...kUEALw_wcB
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-16-2023, 05:02 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: All outdated cutters you have there.

Interesting comment.  If by "outdated" you mean no longer available like good USA-made woodworking machines, then you are exactly right.

Outdated as in they are not a safer cutter like the newer cutters.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks for the info everyone, those charts are what I meant.  I've found current specs on other brands like Amana, Grizzly, Freud, Freeborn, etc. of course.  "Safer" of course is all relative to the user, but I understand the point. 

Regardless, I put the wee beast to work this week. Working on a pair of beetle kill pine slabs for floating shelves. Found a sawmill down in Denver that emphasizes local reclaimed trees and got a 2.5" thick slab to work over.  The shelf bracket needs to be recessed on the back edge, so instead of making a fixture and using a router, I just set up a straight cutter on the shaper, even though it was only .375" wide.  I just made multiple passes and flipped the slabs over until I had the proper dado. Worked great, but after a few days of tossing these slabs thru the machines, I've got some back muscles that want a day off. ;>)

Thanks again,

John

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-18-2023, 10:00 AM)servojohn Wrote: Thanks for the info everyone, those charts are what I meant.

Because posting photos is limited to size, those charts are pretty sorry as to clarity.  I've got full size (2.5 MB) scans of those three chart pages in case you would find them more helpful.  PM me and we can work out a transfer.
(02-19-2023, 09:45 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Because posting photos is limited to size, those charts are pretty sorry as to clarity.  I've got full size (2.5 MB) scans of those three chart pages in case you would find them more helpful.  PM me and we can work out a transfer.

Bob,

Thanks, yes, the posted photos did not enlarge well for these bifocal peepers to read.  I'll send a pm.

Best regards,

John
(02-19-2023, 09:45 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Because posting photos is limited to size, those charts are pretty sorry as to clarity.  I've got full size (2.5 MB) scans of those three chart pages in case you would find them more helpful.  PM me and we can work out a transfer.

Hi Bob
I'd like a copy of that chart too if you don't mind. I tried to send you a PM but it looks like you have it turned off.

Thanks!
Frank