Pulling a Bearing [Delta/Rockwell 37-290 Jointer Rebuild]
Any tricks to extracting this bearing from this block: I already tried a chinese bearing puller but it was of course not as advertised (would not fit the iD of this bearing).

Attached Files Image(s)

Is there a shoulder on either side of the housing or is it a straight through fit?  If it's straight, I'd make a steel plate to fit the bearing diameter and use a hydraulic press to push it out.  If a shoulder, I'd try basically the same thing from the back side.  Without seeing the other side, it's purely a guess.
No way to get in from the other side: it has to be pulled somehow from the ID of the inner race. I am just trying to avoid buying another puller, but I am out of ideas.
blind hole bearing puller
Looks like a jointer bearing housing.  

If it was me, I'd drill a hole in a 2X4 block that was a little larger than the bearing outside diameter.  I'd center the bearing housing over that hole and then tap (pound?) the bearing out using a hammer and piece of wood that is just a little smaller than the OD of the bearing, but significantly bigger than the ID of that bearing. 

I don't see the need for a puller since the bearing housing is out of the machine.  I could be missing some key detail, I guess.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I think you might be able to heat up the block and the bearing may fall out. That's likely to be a bit messy with the grease but I've used that trick a few times and it usually works. As for heating the block a heat gun might be best (or maybe a heat lamp) but I suppose there are other ingenious ways to do it that I haven't thought out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Here is a video on making a blind hole bearing puller  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDW3NpwcJ4E
(05-12-2023, 07:58 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Any tricks to extracting this bearing from this block: I already tried a chinese bearing puller but it was of course not as advertised (would not fit the iD of this bearing).

Go to Auto Zone  and get a puller.  They lend tools for free.  O'Reiily's does it too.  You just have to make a deposit
(05-13-2023, 08:27 AM)RPE1 Wrote: Go to Auto Zone  and get a puller.  They lend tools for free.  O'Reiily's does it too.  You just have to make a deposit

You had me at "free": I will investigate and report back.

Thanks everyone for great suggestions: trying to bring an old Rockwell 37-290 4" jointer back to life: someone has to save this old American Iron.
A machine shop might be able to do it for cheap.

"I think you might be able to heat up the block and the bearing may fall out. That's likely to be a bit messy with the grease but I've used that trick a few times and it usually works. As for heating the block a heat gun might be best (or maybe a heat lamp) but I suppose there are other ingenious ways to do it that I haven't thought out."

You can clean the grease out first. If you try heat, you want something that will heat quickly like a torch. You want the cap to heat while the bearing is still cold. If it doesn't work with just heat, you could put it in the freezer for several hours and then heat the cap.

If you're not keen on the torch, you could freeze it overnight, then dip the cap side in very hot water (with a pliers, of course).

Good luck!
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.