Used every clamp
(06-01-2024, 08:23 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: What failed on the original ring, glue? If so epoxy should help there. Very nice job.

Yes, the glue joints, as I showed in the photo.  They were glued with System 3, T-88 epoxy.  Apparently, the seasonal expansion/contraction exceeded the ability of the glue to hold the joints together.  A more elastic epoxy like West Systems G-Flex might have worked better, but I decided it was time to try something new.  

John
Beautiful work, yet again John!

Doug
(06-01-2024, 10:43 PM)Tapper Wrote: Beautiful work, yet again John!

Doug

Thanks Doug.  Much appreciated.  

John
Agreed. Fantastic job. Looks amazing.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Beautiful work. Thanks, especially, for the progress pictures.

Just in devil's advocate mode: are you sure that the ring diameter of the rabbit will be larger than the glass when it the wood reaches its greatest shrinkage? If you look at the original ring, can you see anywhere that the glass settled into the wood?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(06-04-2024, 05:11 PM)iclark Wrote: Beautiful work. Thanks, especially, for the progress pictures.

Just in devil's advocate mode: are you sure that the ring diameter of the rabbit will be larger than the glass when it the wood reaches its greatest shrinkage? If you look at the original ring, can you see anywhere that the glass settled into the wood?

Thanks.  

As far as I know, the glass was never tight in the first ring whenever I used the table.  The rabbett of the new ring actually is slightly larger so I don't expect it will pull into the glass either.  But you never know about these things unless you get it wrong.  Then it's pretty obvious, like thinking those tenons in the first ring would be adequate.  

John
(06-04-2024, 05:49 PM)jteneyck Wrote: But you never know about these things unless you get it wrong.  Then it's pretty obvious, like thinking those tenons in the first ring would be adequate.  
John

That's funny but true in so many of woodworking's endeavors.

Great looking project and an impressive amount of work.
Really nice work.

Penofin stands up well.

I assume you used that on the original?
“The windows are open and I'm wearing pants.”

- Fire Wood
Good looking job John. Take it from a hack that knows nice work when he sees it.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Great looking table!

We are always learning or at least I am!