looking for a 15 inch plywood cole chuck
anyone here make them?
(06-24-2024, 07:45 AM)PVW Wrote: anyone here make them?

Actually its called a longworth chuck
I know Mike Hedrick (sp?) used to make them and would put some on the old Christmas auction (Bloomington Mike). He hasn't been around much lately but you can find him at Sawmill Creek. He would just machine the disks and the owner provided the hardware. There may be some other CNC folks that cut them out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-25-2024, 11:35 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I know Mike Hedrick (sp?) used to make them and would put some on the old Christmas auction (Bloomington Mike). He hasn't been around much lately but you can find him at Sawmill Creek. He would just machine the disks and the owner provided the hardware. There may be some other CNC folks that cut them out.

Mike made one for me a few years ago. Absolutely refused to let me pay him for it. Very nice gesture!
Frank
(06-25-2024, 11:42 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Mike made one for me a few years ago. Absolutely refused to let me pay him for it. Very nice gesture!

Maybe he'll come across this post
Several places do sell them. My local WC stocks a version.

Peachtree carries the Ron Brown's Best version.

I am not sure whether or not the Ron Brown mounting plate for putting it in a 4-jaw chuck is compatible with the Nova 50mm jaws. Those jaws are not dovetail in compression mode. Both Nova and Record use the "hawk beak design on contraction" for their 50mm "dovetail" jaws. I would be curious to hear whether anyone has tried that combination.

Amazon carries several brands that thread onto a lathe spindle.

I am not sure if you are looking for one to use on a 16" swing lathe or one that can grip (in compression) a 15" diameter bowl. There looks to be a significant price difference in those 2 sizes.

Depending on what you want the Cole/Longworth chucks to hold, you might be interested in taking a look at donut chucks. If you have a bandsaw, they are relatively easy to make if you use the usual BS Box trick to cut the inside of the ring.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(06-25-2024, 10:06 PM)iclark Wrote: Several places do sell them. My local WC stocks a version.

Peachtree carries the Ron Brown's Best version.

I am not sure whether or not the Ron Brown mounting plate for putting it in a 4-jaw chuck is compatible with the Nova 50mm jaws. Those jaws are not dovetail in compression mode. Both Nova and Record use the "hawk beak design on contraction" for their 50mm "dovetail" jaws. I would be curious to hear whether anyone has tried that combination.

Amazon carries several brands that thread onto a lathe spindle.

I am not sure if you are looking for one to use on a 16" swing lathe or one that can grip (in compression) a 15" diameter bowl. There looks to be a significant price difference in those 2 sizes.

Depending on what you want the Cole/Longworth chucks to hold, you might be interested in taking a look at donut chucks. If you have a bandsaw, they are relatively easy to make if you use the usual BS Box trick to cut the inside of the ring.

thanks. Never thought they'd be mass produced
(06-24-2024, 07:45 AM)PVW Wrote: anyone here make them?

I made one, it's not that hard. I don't know the name of the rubber things. Posting pics doesn't like me today
On a Oneway talon chuck.Should be able to do on any chuck.

OOPS! Oneway stronghold chuck

Attached Files Image(s)

You can get the hardware from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/226183935501?mk...media=COPY

There’s also a listing for the bumpers only since you could prob get the hardware cheaper at a hardware store.

Dave in Denver
(06-30-2024, 10:43 AM)hairy Wrote: I made one, it's not that hard. I don't know the name of the rubber things. Posting pics doesn't like me today
On a Oneway talon chuck.Should be able to do on any chuck.

thanks. I may go that route if a longworth doesn't come up