Washing Machine Recommendation
Not worth repairing machine. Recommendations appreciated.
I can tell you what not to buy......... Kenmore Series 600 High Efficiency. We have one. It will not be replaced with something of the same nature. It will be replaced with something that has an agitator, is not high efficiency soap required ( which costs more and does less ), that can fill up the tub and sit so the clothes has a chance to soak ( current unit will dump the water after a certain time not allowing a soak ) and doesn't take 90 minutes to run a short cycle wash and spin. There are probably fifteen more things I could think of but I'll not bore you with the details that we should have looked into before writing the check for this POS. It has proven that new technology is not always more cost effective and better performing. I long for the days when the washer we used would take a full load of my overalls with sawdust in every pocket, Min-Wax stain drops and Pre-cat lacquer messes on the legs and laugh at us as if to say "Is that all you got?"

Yes, this is a sore subject in my household. She dearly wants to take the back off and see where is the water occasionally coming from that is dripping on the floor, BUT she also knows that they are not designed to be fixed. I, on the other hand want to take it to the brushpile fill it with lawn mower tires and diesel and LET IT BURN. She comments that I might be just a little excessive with my proposed plan.

I feel it's a good plan, 

Scott

What do you have? If it's pretty old, may be worth repairing.

We looked high and low for a machine that would fill up, swish the clothes around, and rinse them....like what has worked for many decades. But alas....people build houses in the desert and act surprised when they don't have enough water so they punish the rest of us. Anywho, we found Speed Queen top loader. No electronic controls. No buttons. They meet EPA standards by having their "normal" mode use less water. We use the heavy mode for everything and it works great. It was not cheap. Still wish we repaired the old one...but it works great.
Speed Queen: old school and American made: can't do any better.
The one that has the least amount of electronic whiz bang gizmos, 42 different cycles of which you will use only 2 and 14 different temp and water level sensors.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
Speed Queen Top Loader
Agree, Speed Queen top loader.
It depends on your needs.  If you are washing a lot of clothes often then one of those big top loaders might make sense.  But it's just my wife and I in our house and we don't need something that large.  I also wanted something that was water and power efficient.  We bought an Asco (made in Sweden) front loader, back when front loaders were hard to find.  It uses cold water and heats it, as needed.  It uses well under 10 gal per load.  No, the max. load size isn't very large, but it more than meets our needs.  It's over 25 years old now, and still runs well.  

John
Our Speed Queen isn't a big commercial model.  It looks (and works) like mom's washing machine from 1983... except it's white instead of avocado green.
(08-25-2024, 06:40 PM)JosephP Wrote: Our Speed Queen isn't a big commercial model.  It looks (and works) like mom's washing machine from 1983... except it's white instead of avocado green.

If still have an avocado green model.... it's worth repairing!

I have no use for a front loader. There's no way it can clean my work clothes with 2 qt.s of water then rinse with less.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"