Question about Garage Doors
Greetings,

We had new house built last year which included an obscenely expensive garage door from a local door company.

I've already had to have them come out and look at the door (and make a bunch of changes to the installation) because it was creaking, groaning and popping.

Now some 5 months later, it's creaking, groaning and popping again.

I went and had a lookie see, and what is obvious that as the door travels on the tracks the wheels are extending outward.

With the door down, there is about 3/4" of shaft showing between the wheel and the bracket. With the door up, there is about 2" of shaft showing. This is a heavy door, and the shafts are angled downward from the load and the increased extension.

Just for laughs, I put my 4' Stanley level on the tracks attached to the wall:

As you can see here in 4' the track is about 1/2" off of vertical.

I've had garage doors for literally decades, and never had one that needed the attention this one has needed.

Are the uprights to your door vertical?

Thanks
chris
Yes.................

Ed
Out house has 3 doors, and the tracks are all vertical..installed by professionals. My Amish built shop building has 2, installed by an 18 year old Amish fellow, and they are also vertical. But those doors still have some groans and squeaks when they are opened and closed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Is it the spring making the groaning noises? Might try to spray some lubrication of the torsion spring to see if that helps the noise.
(09-17-2024, 11:21 AM)JosephP Wrote: Is it the spring making the groaning noises? Might try to spray some lubrication of the torsion spring to see if that helps the noise.

Nope.

The wheel are extending outwards as the door goes up and down.

I'm going to have to get in the contractor's knickers about this...

Thanks for the info.
chris
(09-16-2024, 04:15 PM)doobes Wrote: Greetings,

We had new house built last year which included an obscenely expensive garage door from a local door company.

I've already had to have them come out and look at the door (and make a bunch of changes to the installation) because it was creaking, groaning and popping.

Now some 5 months later, it's creaking, groaning and popping again.

I went and had a lookie see, and what is obvious that as the door travels on the tracks the wheels are extending outward.

With the door down, there is about 3/4" of shaft showing between the wheel and the bracket. With the door up, there is about 2" of shaft showing. This is a heavy door, and the shafts are angled downward from the load and the increased extension.

Just for laughs, I put my 4' Stanley level on the tracks attached to the wall:

As you can see here in 4' the track is about 1/2" off of vertical.

I've had garage doors for literally decades, and never had one that needed the attention this one has needed.

Are the uprights to your door vertical?

Thanks

Sounds like the tracks are not parallel and too far apart or the tracks are not at 90 degrees to the opening and it pulls the door to the side.  Could it be the horizontal portions of the track moved left to right because the braces are not secure.  Is the door going up level ?  If one of the spools slipped on the shaft one side would be lifting more than the other.  Roly
Vertical parts of the track should be vertical. The end of the horizontal tracks should be about 1.5” wider than the vertical portion.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy