Hardwood options in large master bath
This is a question about hardwood flooring in a large master bath.  

We have a 40-year old colonial with a large master suite.  I am finally redoing the bathroom.  Originally it had a useless large whirlpool tub and a small 30x36 shower.  I have reconfigured it to a larger 78x48 shower and no tub.  (I added a nice tub to the guest bath remodel a couple years ago, so we see a tub in the master as unneeded and intrusive in what will be a very nice "sanctuary" area.)

Hopefully my sketchup model (jpg attached) is helpful.  See notes and status below.

So, while hardwood floors are not recommended for bathrooms in any literature I have read, I believe this is a much lower risk bathroom for hardwood.  There is almost no moisture from the shower as the ceilling is so high and the room so large it is dissipated quickly.  The only real sources for standing water or anything like that are the shower door and the vanity area.  

We have considered tile, vinyl, carpet (the room was carpeted when we bought it), and combinations thereof.  Definte no on vinyl no matter how good the simulation of wood is.  No on carpet except perhaps in the closets.  Tile in the toilet room is likely and perhaps around the edge of the shower as shown, but not definte for either spot.  

In particular we have looked at so-called waterproof hardwood, but my supervisor does not like any of the finishes.  She is looking for something in the light gray area and that is hard to find.  Also, I don't like most of the samples we have seen as they are not substantial enough IMHO. A few are very nice, but color selection is limited and not acceptable so far.  

To me, installing an unfinished high-end maple or white pine floor with a suitable stain, and then sealing the whole surface with a good quality water poly in 2-4 coats would be a very reasonable hedge against water damage.  I also much prefer a 3/4" wood floor (over 3/4" plywood subfloor).  We can control the whole process and find the best stain, or even a dye perhaps.  (Making sample boards is something I do routinely.)

Certainly nothing is truly waterproof but I am wondering what this community thinks about this idea?  Please be candid.  Are there any showstoppers in your mind(s)?  What else might you suggest?  Have any of you used hardwood in your bath or kitchen and how has it held up?  

Thank you for your input as always.

-------------

A couple of notes on the diagram:  the shower will be square and not angled as shown.  The old tub took up 72x72 corner in lower left by corner windows.  The room has a 12' cathedral ceiling peaking at walk-in closet wall containing door on lower right.  In other words, that wall is 12' high and the exterior wall un the foreground with the window is 8' high.  Ceiling fan to be added in center of large "sanctuary" space opposite vanities.

Current project status - all permits passed for enclosure.  I have hung the sheetrock, mudded, taped, and primed walls.  Ceiling painted.  Using Schluter system for shower.

Attached Files Image(s)

sleepy hollow

Of course, this is just my opinion. I am adamantly opposed to wood flooring in any space subject to major water spills such as kitchens and baths. Any decision to do so based on "water proofing" the wood is a long term mistake and maintenance issue. With so many good options available, why would you intentionally subject yourself to unnecessary problems? Apply all the polyurethane or other finish on it you want, but you end up with a fragile paper thin barrier that is not a permanent fool proof solution. Almost any other material is better.
I'd be pretty hesitant to do HW in bathroom as well.

How about a tile that has a wood look. It's "off" enough that it doesn't look like you were trying to do wood (as.it does with laminate)...but still has some of the warm look of wood.

I'd probably be more drawn towards engineered wood than solid wood because of humidity and possible spills.
We used LifeProof for the floors in our two bathroom remodels, and have been very happy so far (5 years).
How about wood grained porcelain tile?  Available in all sorts of light greys, too.
Everyone says don’t do it.

Our home has wood floors everywhere except the bathrooms.
The entire kitchen is wood.
The wood is 3/4” thick tongue and groove heart pine.

The girls bedrooms each have their own vanity—hence, running water—as the connecting bathroom between is toilet, shower and claw foot tub.
The vanity in one of the girls bedrooms has a camphor top.
The vanity top in the master bathroom is Caribbean heart pine.

After 20+ years, the vanity top in the master is the only wood which can stand refinishing.

YMMV.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Sounds like Gary G has had luck.

I have traditional 3/4" oak hardwood flooring in the kitchen and while it's been ok, it wouldn't be my first choice.

After 20+ years there, the oak has some water staining and there's some small gaps between the boards in front of the sink. It needs refinishing.

Ina bathroom (or kitchen) there are so many ways for the floor to get wet - a dropped towel going unnoticed to a leaking fixture - that I'd plan on the floor getting seriously wet at some points in its life.

You may be able to find a wood floor that handles water better than most - but I wouldn't think maple or (Eastern/Western) white pine is it.

I suppose it depends on whether you can live with a "rustic" floor. If you're contemplating a white pine floor, maybe you've already decided that - that stuff is going to get a lot of dents in normal use.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(09-29-2024, 02:35 PM)MKepke Wrote: Sounds like Gary G has had luck.

I suppose it depends on whether you can live with a "rustic" floor. If you're contemplating a white pine floor, maybe you've already decided that - that stuff is going to get a lot of dents in normal use.
-Mark

I’m not sure if you’re referring to what I posted.
If so and for clarification, Heart Pine is absolutely not comparable to white pine.
Heart pine is heavy, dense, typically has lots of resin and is hard as nails.
After 25 years, we’ve got a couple of small dents and scratches in the floor.
One of the scratches came from guys moving a cast iron claw foot tub and slipping—several hundred pounds dragged on wood will mark Ipe too.

Laugh
Laugh

I wouldn’t trade being able to walk around barefoot on these floors with any other surface.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
You might want to read about bamboo flooring.
(09-30-2024, 07:25 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: I’m not sure if you’re referring to what I posted.
If so and for clarification, Heart Pine is absolutely not comparable to white pine.
<snip>
Nope, not you.

The OP said he’s considering maple or white pine.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.