Knife Display Case
Moved on to making the top for the display case.  Chose a black cherry board.  Cut the dado for this in two passes over the table saw, no dado blade this time.  Sanded away the burn marks.

Plexi cut to fit.

Black Cherry retention frame for the plexi.

Oiled the black cherry frame, then installed the glass.

Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Time to install the piano hinge.

Predrilled all the holes with the depth on the bit marked with painters tape.
I wax the screws before installation, screwing them into a block of wax and backing them out before using them.
They are installed with the torque set on the drill driver, it sets them just tight enough to pull the piano hinge firm against the frame.  No sheared heads, no split wood.  BTDT.

Jim in Okie
Installing the lights, I knew I was drilling through the quarter round trim.  I had been thinking about this pucker factor step for a week.  I decided on a brad point bit, and decided to test my theory on the scrap of quarter round.  I drilled thru with the brad point.  Worked great.  I cut plugs with the plug cutter.  Excellent.  I cut a notch for the wires to ride in.  Yup.

But, how will I trim the plug flush after insertion with a wire down thru the hole? 
No  Good chance of cutting the wire, right?
But, wait?  I can use the scrap with the hole drilled in it as a jig to flush cut all the plugs and punch them back out from the bottom... 
Cool

Trimming by hand with the sharp chisel I easily trimmed the plugs flush.
The entire process took a bit over an hour to make the five plugs.  You always make an extra.

Jim in Okie
Now I actually drilled the holes in the quarter round in the case, vacuuming up the sawdust before moving to each new hole.  didn't want the exhaust from the drill blowing it around and squirreling it away in the case. 
No
No  The lights look good.

The plugs worked just as I had hoped and pre-stained, no more labor was required.

We are nearly done.  

I have to attach the hinge to the side of the case, and attach a latch to the other side.  Then finish the wiring for the lights.
Last, I have to cut the french cleats and install them on the back of the case and on the wall in the house.
I MAY put some trim around the case after installation to hide the gap caused by the cleats, or may not. Depends on how noticiable the gap/cleats are.

The display case has been a challenge, but I have enjoyed the build.  I plan to display my Marine NCO sword above it, and a reproduction Calvary Sword Below it.  I have a Braveheart Sword that was a gift, it may fill the space beside the table.  That sword is a monster, nearly 4-1/2 feet and seven pounds.
Jim in Okie
That looks great. In the part where you were deciding on the background, I was thinking buckskin because I was just watching a show about a guy that processes them in Montana. The leather came out great. I'm looking forward to the final reveal.
I should not "Put the cart before horse."
I was reading every word, enjoying every picture, strongly pulling for the burgundy, and very disappointed in the initial pattern on the leather.

Holy Cow "Jar Head"!!!  What a beautiful job!!!  Instead of a knife display, I suggest you have a great piece of art that will be accented with gorgeous knives.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Wow, the writeup is excellent and the case is beautiful! Can't wait to see it finished.
Frank
Thanks guys, y'all got a bit shorted.  The build alongs on the knife/leather forums are much more detailed as most of them aren't woodworkers, so I went much more into detail in each step explaining how I did things, as you may have noticed by the picture numbering. 
Big Grin  I do enjoy sharing what I have learned over the years, and the payback comes when a comment says something like, "Wow, never knew that, thanks."

I joined woodnet all those years ago for help with hand planes.  
Laugh
Jim in Okie
(10-16-2024, 08:42 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Wow, the writeup is excellent and the case is beautiful! Can't wait to see it finished.

Me either...

I started in September.

Laugh
Laugh
Jim in Okie
The case is going to look great hanging on your wall.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.