Knife Display Case
Thanks.  Slipped out this morning and attached the hinge to the case itself.  Smooth and easy but I went slow.  Too late in the game to make mistakes.  First put a single screw in the center hole after aligning the hinge to prevent any movement, then one on each end.  After that was done, I center punched all the rest and pre-drilled.  (Yup, I pre-drilled those three as well, couldn't risk shearing off the screw heads or splitting the wood here either.)

Once all the holes were center punched, I pre-drilled them all.  I had the box on the woodworking bench backed against the bench dogs in the bench so it couldn't move.  Makes work easier.

Now I could screw in all the screws with the torque set drill to avoid shearing the head or splitting the wood.  Got 'er done, and it opens and closes smooth as silk.  Have to make that trip to Home Depot and pick up a latch that will work and that piece of molding to hide the french cleat.  I knew I wasn't going to ignore it.  
Raised
Raised

So close....
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Wow, great job on the build along presentation as well as the display case.  Can't wait to see it all done and loaded up with those beautiful knives.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I'm in awe of the leather work.  Just amazing.  And I thought I had patience and perseverance.  You've taken it to another level.  

John
Got back out in the shop this morning for a couple hours and knocked out a couple projects on the case.  The first was to put in the top latches that will hold the glass door shut on the display.  As always, I marked the depth on the bit with my blue tape, and center punched the hinged half of the latch and torqued the screws.  The tricky part is making sure the loop half is centered and correct.  MY trick is to form double sided tape from the blue painters tape and put it on the feet of the loop.  I put the loop in the hinged half and fold it down until it touches the wood and press hard.  Lift the hinge off, and BOOM, perfect placement.

Center punch thru the tape and pull the loop and tape off and drill.  Then screw the loop in place.  Do this twice and both latches are installed properly.

Jim in Okie
I could use locks, but I'm not worried about a break in.  I'm just worried about the door falling open.  Since the latches will be on TOP of the case, they won't really be seen.  I'll fold the carabineers to the back and they'll be out of sight but insure the latches won't pop open.
Jim in Okie
The second task for the morning session was fixing something that bothered me every time I saw it.  It was a GAP.  No, not that clothing store in the mall, although that is NOT one of MY primary shopping destinations. 
Rolleyes  The gap that is annoying me is this UGLY gap.

I'm not sure exactly how it happened.  Maybe I was tired.  It could be something slipped.  It could have been one of those nasty shop gremlins.  Someone fed him after midnight and then you never can tell what will happen. 
No  I'm going with the Gremlin.  So, time to fix it.  I used a piece of leftover trim from the strips I made, and cut a thin slice.  NOT thin enough.  
Upset  Had another go... thinner slice.  Nope, STILL not thin enough. 
Rolleyes
One last shot.  I could fill it with putty, but I'd see it every time.  One last shot... BOOM, it fits, snug, but it fits.   
Winkgrin

Jim in Okie
I installed the plug after wiping on a thin layer of butter...  Um, glue... on each side.  Using a rawhide mallet, I drove it home, lightly tapping. Tap tap tap tap, until it just wouldn't go any farther.  Then, while the glue was still wet, I sanded her flush.  Since the glue was still wet, the sawdust from that treatment, which filled the remaining small gaps, STAYED in the small gaps.

Now it's time to let that glue dry.  While it was drying, I put away tools, cleaned off the tables and the benches and basically became my maid.  The shop isn't ALL clean, the job isn't done.  But things are put back where they belong.  That means, time to stain. So I gloved up and got the stai... Um.  Wait.  Which Stain?  Medium Walnut?  Dark Walnut?  I forget? Which.. if only there was somewhere to check for the stain I used.... Oh... I know.

I took a break, went in the house and poured coffee, and read thru the narrative on line and ... THERE, there it is... Golden Oak Watco. We are cooking with gas.... 

Boom, it matches.

Jim in Okie
One last session for the day, I set up to cut the cleats.  I had to change blades, the Big Finish Cut blade wouldn't tilt to 45 degrees.
So, set up for that.  I cut the two 6' boards to 45 degrees in a rip cut down one side only.
Switched blades back.

Cut the two boards into three pieces.  One four foot piece, two one foot pieces.
The four foot piece got two dadoes to allow the wires for lighting to pass thru.
I marked each board for it's location.
Tested the layout, it's good.

Too tired now and in too much pain to risk an error.
Tomorrow I'll attach the boards to the case, and the rest to the wall.
Then only the molding remains.
Tomorrow.

Jim in Okie