How do you lubricate your clamp threads if any?
This summer I've found numerous 6-8" name brand C clamps in surface rust condition but very repairable.  I use the regular methods to get rid of the rust, and usually paint the bodies.  My question is do you apply anything to the threads to make them turn nicer?  My college professor always said never use oil on woodworking equipment but use wax as it doesn't attract dust.  Since I've been out of college for 40 years, I thought maybe the thinking has changed?

Anyone have any thoughts?  I think oil will lubricate better, and it wouldn't be a big thing to remove a little dust once in a while.

Wax  will probably get the job done also.

I just don't like the feeling of the friction of the screw, and lots of times I don't have enough hands anyway.
3-in-1 oil. A few drops along the threads, screw the length of the threads both ways and you’re good to go. Been using it for 50+ years with no issues.
(10-21-2024, 10:54 AM)Katzrme Wrote: 3-in-1 oil. A few drops along the threads, screw the length of the threads both ways and you’re good to go. Been using it for 50+ years with no issues.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I also use WD40 in some applications, wipe off the excess and it works fine. I've found the "wax" procedure to be a "red herring." Sure if you slop on the oil and it's in the direct line of sawdust somehow, might be a problem. Otherwise, not an issue - common sense prevails.

Doug
Kano Dryphite Graphite Lubricant —great stuff.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I've been putting wax on with a toothbrush, seems to work fine.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Years back I put Mobil 1 on some clamps.  It worked too well, particularly with clamps with a plated screw.  I tightened up the clamps and they unscrewed by themselves.  That last turn would unscrew about one turn.  Mobil 1 is good stuff, for sure, but not for clamps.  Since then, I've used no lubricants on clamps unless I was cleaning a rusty flea market buy and then only WD-40 since it really isn't a lubricant.  My favorite is to clean the treads with a fine wire wheel on my buffer.  That makes the biggest difference.
(10-21-2024, 10:22 AM)toolmiser Wrote: This summer I've found numerous 6-8" name brand C clamps in surface rust condition but very repairable.  I use the regular methods to get rid of the rust, and usually paint the bodies.  My question is do you apply anything to the threads to make them turn nicer?  My college professor always said never use oil on woodworking equipment but use wax as it doesn't attract dust.  Since I've been out of college for 40 years, I thought maybe the thinking has changed?

Anyone have any thoughts?  I think oil will lubricate better, and it wouldn't be a big thing to remove a little dust once in a while.

Wax  will probably get the job done also.

I just don't like the feeling of the friction of the screw, and lots of times I don't have enough hands anyway.
I gave about 20 lbs of beeswax, so I use that sparingly.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!