Show me your tool cabinet
I have seen that cabinet before... That isn't Alf's cabinet off of the UK forum is it? Maybe I am getting confused. I love posts like these because you get to see a lot of nice eye candy all at once!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Those who beat their swords into plows, will plow the fields of those still with swords.

Chad.
Jerry:

It looks like you have the saws in your till with the teeth pointed out - the back saws definitely, can't tell with the others. Is there a reason why you point the teeth out?

BTW, nice cabinets everyone.
- Jeremy
" . . . the only piece of lumber he ever actually paid for came from the Good Humor Man and had ice cream attached." J. Skiver, PWW Dec. 07 I've always suspected I was being watched.
Woodfiend said:

That isn't Alf's cabinet off of the UK forum is it?

Not I. I'm currently without a tool cabinet and using a tool chest instead, but all these inspiring examples is making me twitchy... There are a couple that might be of interest from UK Workshop though, here and here .

Cheers, Alf
"Geez, I got a dozen nailguns. ...I just huff-n-puff on the end of a short hose to make 'em fire off. That's how much a galoot I am." MikeW, 03/08/07
Radialman said:

Jerry:

It looks like you have the saws in your till with the teeth pointed out - the back saws definitely, can't tell with the others. Is there a reason why you point the teeth out?

BTW, nice cabinets everyone.
- Jeremy

Some are teeth in, some teeth out. Lack of space available out from the wall is the main reason. Had to fit behind the the scrollsaw as that was the only available wall space at the time I made the saw till. That left the base area a little shallow for some of the saws with shorter horns left on the top of the totes. While it leaves the teeth on most facing dangerously outward, the saw till is far enough up and out of the way that I have to stretch to reach them so I'm not gonna accidentally get injusred by them. Besides, having the teeth visible, I can choose the right saw for the task without having to recall how each is configured.

Oh, and I've got a bridge I'll sell real cheap if you believe it was intentional.

Mostly just bad planning on my part.
Well hey!! Good to see you over here!!! I never expected to see any of the UK galoots over here. Derek is here more often lately. I believe he frequents over there too. I never post in your forum but am always over there checking out the new toys and projects that everyone is working on. I guess it is definitely a small world (made smaller by the internet!). Come by and visit more often.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Those who beat their swords into plows, will plow the fields of those still with swords.

Chad.
Thanks for all of the replys. I see I have a long way to go before I am close to having the hand tool inventory that some of you have. One question I have. I live in Minnesota and have an unheated shop for now. Will storing my handtools in an enclosed cabinet help keep them from rusting?

MikeJ
Yes. In fact, I'd recommend an old refrigerator with a light bulb (40W) or so to keep the temp up.

The toughest thing is keep the temp from changing rapidly, causing condensation.

Where 'bouts are you? Plenty of MN galoots on the board.
The dirty little secret of freedom is that in the end, you are on your own.
Here is my main handtool cabinet. One of these days, when I get the new shop built, I will build some decent units. In the mean time these suffice. More utilitarian than most here - I'd rather spend my time building furniture for home than the workshop.

Mostly pine.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
. . . when I get the new shop built, I will build some decent units. In the mean time these suffice.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, that would suffice for me, too!
Alf??? UK??? Actually you are confused, but help is on the way.

What you are looking at is a recycled sock closet Eric constructed as a novice ww’r in December of 2004. He hauled it up to the NMM'05 held at Casa Hall in New Boston, TX where it underwent close scrutiny by those in attendance. Eric was enthusiastically encouraged by the experienced throng to forget the socks and shelter his tool *collection* in there instead. This necessitated the removal of all the wee sock rods, which were posthumously recycled into whirlygig components by the WhirlyMiester, Mr. Terre Hooks. But I digress. HTH.
Bob Zajicek
Marietta, GA
Owner Czeck Edge Hand Tool
http://CzeckEdge.com