Tutorial: How I install full extension slides
One of the simple things I have always struggled with is installing drawer slides square and with the proper set back. I know there are plenty of jigs available, but they tend to be manufacturer specific and I never stock up so I end up using different brands based on availability. Also I have never seen a jig that makes sure you mount the slides at the same height on each side of the cabinet.

I figured since installing drawers slides in the past has kicked my butt, I'm sure other people have had questions but didn't ask for fear of ridicule. This project has fifteen drawers in a 54"x21" plywood case. It will be my under bench tool storage when completed.

To start I begin putting a piece of masking tape roughly centered on both sides of the front of the drawer then mark the exact center on the tape using my trusty 6" square set to the right distance. Just in case of little variations I made all the measurements from the top of the drawer. You can see one section here all marked up.

After I did that for all the drawers I put them in the cabinet using scrap pieces of lumber to get spacing between the drawers, unfortunately I didn't take a picture of this. With the spacing set I move the entire stack over to the side of the cabinet and using my square transfer the exact mark of the drawer centerline to the cabinet on masking tape I put on the face.

With that done I made up a jig to match the spacing of the horizontal adjustment holes on the cabinet side of the slides and teh vertical adjustment holes on the drawers side of the slides all lines up with a centerline drawn on the jig.

Make sure you have the set back done correctly on the cabinet side for inset drawers like I'll be using here. With the jig made I simply matched up the center lines on the cabinet..

And drilled the holes necessary. You'll notice I put tape over the holes that I shouldn't use.

With that done I did the same thing on the drawers as seen below.

I went ahead and installed all of the cabinet parts of the slide at once leaving the screws a little loose. Then I came back made sure they were 3/4 back for the false fronts using my trusty little square. While I was snugging them up I forced the slide up to the top of the horizontal screw slot. I did this on all drawers, kind of set a standard deviation across all drawers.

When I got all the hardware mounted and installed you can see the drawer ends up being about 1/16 higher than the original mark. This is caused by me forcing the cabinet side up. I figured if I didn't do this you could have as much as a 1/8 error between the two slides which could cause some problems with opening and closing.

The whole process worked better than I expected andyou can see the final results...

Any or all comments welcome..
Semper Fi,

Barry
Excellent write-up jarhead. Very informative. It will really help me (a furnituremaking newbie) out in future projects. Thank you for sharing!!

Regards,

Ed

Sorry. forgot to mention excellent work too!
...find a job you love to do...never work again...
www.medalliontools.com

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Muck apreciated.......

Skogs
Looks good. Nice assortment of drawer sizes.

One of my methods is similar to yours. Use a different method for different applications. One method I use allot is to set the lowest slide and then work my way up using a spacer between the slides.

Only part I hate about some projects is that the slides cost more than the lumber for the project. Funny thing is I bought lots of slides for $2 ea and have to find a use for them. Got several 22-26" 150lb full extension BB KV and Accuride. Too good of a deal at $2 to pas up.
Great job on the tutorial.

Adding to favorites....
Thanks
Bruce

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. then quit. No use being a darn fool about it." -- W.C. Fields

SABA
Great write up, I've saved it as a favorite. BTW do you have any pictures with the faces on?
The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
www.timbershavings.com
Very nicely done. I'm building some shop storage and it always makes me scratch my head a few times doing this.

I'm going to .pdf this and set it aside for future use.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this up.

Michael
Thanks for the comments. I actually haven't gotten the faces on yet, I'm still working on that. I should have them all cut up and sized this weekend, maybe even finished. When it is all done I will post updated pics.

All of the dreawers I have installed to date have been inset drawers, so I'll post a tutorial if I come up with a clever way to do the overlays.
Semper Fi,

Barry
Gotta ask, where did you get those slides for $2??

All the hardware is from cshardware, which has great pricing and is an absolute pleasure to deal with. The biggest problem I have now is where to store hardware like that. For the most part they are pretty bulky and VERY heavy. Maybe I'll stock up if I ever see a great deal and just figure out how to store them later.

Clamps and hardware, two things you can never have enough of.....
Semper Fi,

Barry
Thanks Jarhead
This has inspired me to finish the drawers on my tool cabinet
Dave