Interesting General Int'l Warranty
this is a very timely post I was looking very seriouly at the 25-200 when it comes out at the end of the month, I'm going to rethink my decision.
When you talk about bearing replacement...you want General to replace the bearings...labour and all ...or just the bearings?
LNSĀ® said:

When you talk about bearing replacement...you want General to replace the bearings...labour and all ...or just the bearings?

Just the bearings. I've got no problem replacing them myself, as long as I can physically do it.

-Joe
Bearings are cheap I can live with that..I ordered from General 2 bearings for my TS...and they were about 9 bucks each...What scares me is the part of electric motor replacement...I don't understand how they could do that?
LNSĀ® said:

Bearings are cheap

That's not really the point, at least not for me. I expect a manufacturer to stand behind its product, and I feel replacing bad bearings during the warranty period falls under that. Yes, in this case they've offered to replace the bearings for me, but it was made clear that it's not standard practice.

JMHO, of course.

-Joe
Thanks for the timely post, Joe. I was looking at the GI 25-200 and seriously considering it until about 2 weeks ago when something told me to go another route. Now I am glad I did. It pays to listen to that little voice inside
Cheers,
Bob

Let's not all jump ship just yet I'm going to give General a chance to get back to me about the warranty before passing judgement on them.

In good news, my local General dealer is being very helpful. He was as surprised as we were to hear about the bearing policy, and said he's had so few problems with the General line that the issue never came up before. That's always good to hear!

-Joe
Well..when it comes to buying the GI line....they are imports just as good as the next import..but when it comes to purchasing the 'real ' McCoy ....the true General....seeing it's a true NA made tool..pretty hard to sway my desicion from that.
I'm with ya there. Had they made a lathe similar to my 25-650 in the NA-built General line, I would have gone there instead.

I got a response back from one Norman Frampton, who is a sales & marketing guy from GI. He basically said the warranty is worded to avoid people trying to abuse the warranty (as many are wont to do). He further said the part about the motors is in there since they don't warranty the Baldor motors themselves, but send customers directly to Baldor.

I told him the warranty is misleading and would put off buyers.

I asked his permission to cut 'n paste his response here so you can read it for yourselves.

-Joe
I don't think the GI line has Baldor motors in it. NO way..

The GI..offices and warehouse are located in Montreal and the General line is in Drummondville just 30 miles outside the city...they are run like two independant companies..I don't understand why thier website is merged into one...and thier warranty too....each company has their own sales and technical people....