My new updated crosscut sled (pics)
Sorry swandog, but you're waaaayyyy back in line

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Mark:

Very nice! Do you own stock in some plastic laminate factory or something?

My old CC sled had a miter fence on it, similar to yours. The details varied somewhat, but it was the same idea. You know what? I never used that miter fence. First, there was no scale, so I had no idea how to set it for any angle, and second, I rarely need to make mitered cuts on my table saw. That could change witht he new saw, though.

I did borrow the safety block from that sled when I made my new one. I drilled holes in the side of my left extension wing & threaded them. I then bolted a wooden runner to that side. The runner has a 3/4" block attached to the very end of it. There's a small block on the bottom of the sled that's positioned so that it strikes the block on the end of the runner when 1/2 of the blade is buried in the rear fence & safety block. With this arrangement, it should be impossible for the blade to exit the safety block.

I like the telescoping fence. I was toying with that idea myself, but decided not to build something that complicated. Let us know how that works for you.

Tony
"The art of leadership is to work with the natural grain of the particular wood of humanity which comes to hand."

John Adair

My woodworking blog: Tony's Woodshop
Oh sure, AFTER I get mine you decide to do this. What a great guy!!!

Just kiddin, I love your designs. Your so creative when it comes to shop jigs.

Brad
'TwoBye'

Quality is not expensive, it's PRICELESS
mound said:

[blockquote]stav said:

One question about the safety block. Why don't you make it so part of the safety block hangs down below the surface of the saw table so it will stop the sled before the blade could go all the way through?

That would prevent his fence and workpieces from ever making it to the blade

[/blockquote]

Good point. Holiday stupid brain appears to be starting a little early for me this year.
Looks nice, how you do adjust the fence perpendicular to the blade?

Chris
*Chris* said:

Looks nice, how you do adjust the fence perpendicular to the blade?

Chris

not to answer for mark, I'm sure he'll describe what exactly he did. But in general, you mark a line that's pretty close to 90* and you screw one side in. Then you set the other side close, screw it in with one screw, make test custs (I like the "5 cut method") and essentially adjust the fence forward or backward until finally your test cuts prove square. Then you secure the fence with several more screws.

In otherwords, it's not intended to be adjusted. Though I have seen some designs on the net where the fence is adjustable.
Great looking sled! I am ready to build one. Do you by any chance sell the plans?
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.

Ok, you have two options or we'll stop reading your posts:

1) come up with a price and let us who don't have the time or scrap laying around buy one from you?

2) make a detailed tutorial and sell it to us.

BTW just kidding about not reading your posts. how the heck will I ever try and better myself if I can't copy your stuff!!!!
The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
www.timbershavings.com
ehhhhh i dont care for your choice of laminate, and the use of phillips head screws instead of torx... uggghhh
and is that an old knob on the miter guage... yuk...

couldn't let you get a big head with all these well deserved compliments...

seriously though...
really, really nicely done MMarzluf...

you added some great ideas to an already great idea..

i think twobye is hocking his down in the Swap n Sell, under the heading "Outdated Crosscut Sled, last years model"

you and photog make some nice jigs and compliment them with equally as nice pics..
so the only important question:

how many hours ya got in that thing?