CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure

Turning impaired.

I'm in awe.
I'll bet you have forearms like Popeye now!

Michael
one down, twelve to go?
10-12' of Hard Maple!
Wow. Impressive.

mark

Whew. Enough time and Pillsbury biscuits to recover enough to post.

Thanks to the big design change (occaisioned by the woodstore not having what I wanted originally), I should only have to do this once more. Alas, it's only 8 feet of 8/4 hard maple.

These pieces will go to form the rear apron and part of the front apron. For the main part of the bench I have two 6' slabs that are about 7" wide and 1.75" thick. I want to edge joint them together. I was thinking a plywood spline, but I don't want to have to go buy a whole sheet of ply wood just to use one little strip. Do you think a series of dowels would be sufficient? To prevent warping, the bench will have breadboard ends and battens underneath.

... I am pondering possible improvements to the framesaw... including "paddles" to give more leverage and less Pop-Eye workout.
Turning impaired.
That is better news

I think the dowels would be fine. I really wish I had waited to pick up some biscuits myself.

Oh well, the Stanley #7 I ordered from Walt today will help to fine-tune... I mean fix the top of my bench
Alrighty. I just finished ripping the last piece, this one only 7 feet. I think I'm done ripping for a while. (Oww... the blisters, they hurt...)

My next question is this: I'm about to edge join the two main slabs. Should I bother trying to flatten the face before I glue them up? Or should I just do it as one big slab after glue up? They are already reasonably flat (i.e., no big bow, twist, etc.).

Cutting up all this expensive lumber is scary.
Turning impaired.
I wouldn't bother flattening anything until the glueup is complete. Although I know it's tempting because it's fun.

When I tried pre-flatteningon any of my bench components, I always had to re-flatten anyway after the glue-up. And some of the material I "pre-flattened" away shouldn't have been. But by doing so, I made more work for myself in the end.
California Proposition 65:
My words, opinions, and suggestions have been proven to cause anxiety and/or emotional distress to readers residing in the State of California.
That make sense to me too. Although with CT's obvious penchant for hard work, maybe planing twice is in order