CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure
jcorbett said:

So glad this thread hasn't been lost...

I really enjoyed CT's bench build thread and I won't speak for Skip, but I, for one, wouldn't cry too much if the evidence of all my thread-jacking were to disappear
FordPrefect said:

[blockquote]jcorbett said:

So glad this thread hasn't been lost...

I really enjoyed CT's bench build thread and I won't speak for Skip, but I, for one, wouldn't cry too much if the evidence of all my thread-jacking were to disappear

[/blockquote]
Mercy Ford;

I hadn't planned to go back and read all 45 pages, until now....

At least finally I've made use of her permission to use her never-ending thread format.....
Skip

Thanks, guys, for keeping this alive. I really do intend to condense it into a webpage at some point, so it's easier to read. But there were so many great comments, suggestions, and tips in the thread that I am afraid it wouldn't do it justice.
Turning impaired.
Ummmm, thanks to you CT, without your example to go by, we would really be just nowhere....
Skip

Crooked Tail said:

OK, very, very slowly making progress, but progress nonethess. Here is the front apron all glued up and ready to be attached to the main slab of the bench. You'll notice my brain went out to lunch about the time I was spacing the dog holes. At least I realized I was about it put it over the front vise before I cut the second to last one. I wish I would have spaced them out evenly though.

Due to another cerebral vacation, I cut one of the slats too short and, so design change was necessary. Thus the dovetailed endcap, whch will butt against the tailvise and make up the extra 2" I cut off.

You can't see the figure in the maple very well, but to me it looks like a pretty nice sort of curly piece. I sure found out quick what all this talk was about planing curly stuff... no matter which way I planed, it seemed to be the wrong way, and no matter how much I sharpened, it wanted to tear out. I think I need a scraper plane...?

Workbench version 2

For all you folks not acquainted with CT's work.... at least up thru page 5 I haven't made a fool of myself as yet...
Skip

Since it got bumped, I went through it once more. Great bench and thread!
Bump to keep this.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Beautiful job on the workbench and great job of documenting the build! Lots of great information and inspiration for those planning a bench. I especially liked the way you handled all the "oops's" that come along on any project, especially one of this magnitude and complexity. Being able to adjust "on the fly" is the key to continuing progress towards the eventual goal of completion.

Again, great job on the bench!

Doug
Thanks guys for the bump and the kind words. There were lots of "oops!" but I learned so much from that project... and now I have a decent bench for building more stuff.

Been busy with work and home improvement projects lately, but I'm actually back to doing some woodworking now that it's winter.
Turning impaired.
I tried to open the file but keep getting a 404 error. Is anyone else having this problem?