CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure
You guys are really kind... what a bonehead move!

This is the first (and hopefully last) major screw-up on this bench. Luckily it is on a piece that is not critical to the main bench and easily replaced if I can't "fix" it.

Since I've got nothing to lose now, I'll drill another middle hole (this time, where it is supposed to be), and see if the vise will cover the "oops" hole. Of course, on the inside of the jaw, the oops hole will be there in any event.

Perhaps I'll take the scrub plane to it, and scrub off a half inch or so, then glue a new piece of maple over it. Except I think I'm about out of maple... all that I have left is earmarked for the tailvise. I have some already-resawn purpleheart, though. Maybe I'll scrub down the maple inside jaw to 1/4" or so, and glue a 1/2" piece of purpleheart on it.
LOL maybe it will look extra fancy, as if I meant to do that.
Turning impaired.
OK, I drilled another hole, and this is how it is supposed to fit. The front of the vise covers up the oops hole, but the hole is right where the middle screw is supposed to go. I guess I will try it with just the two side screws, and see how it works. If it wants to tilt forward / backward, I'll have to do some more tweaking on it.

I'm going to add an additional purpleheart piece to the inside. That will cover up the hole on in the inside, and make a nice purple stripe between the vise and the bench on top. Alas, I won't have time to do it for a few days.

Also, I think I will paint that vise with black engine enamel. That green has to go, it clashes with my color scheme!

Excellent work on the bench! Very nice face vise!

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Depending on the hole size I think you could glue in a maple dowel and redrill with out much issue.

Great looking bench BTW

Bob
Crooked Tail said:

I'm going to add an additional purpleheart piece to the inside. That will cover up the hole on in the inside, and make a nice purple stripe between the vise and the bench on top. Alas, I won't have time to do it for a few days.

Also, I think I will paint that vise with black engine enamel. That green has to go, it clashes with my color scheme!

That bench is really looking great. Nice install on the vice too. The purpleheart piece will make a nice front jaw pad. If you screw it on you can easily replace it when it gets chewed up too.

Agree on the vice green... <hurl>. I painted mine darkish blue to match the Record on the opposite end.
Bob Zajicek
Marietta, GA
Owner Czeck Edge Hand Tool
http://CzeckEdge.com

Crooked Tail said:

I'm glad you said it first. I'm going to be using this as my end vise and the single screw for a leg vise. The green just doesn't do it for me. I was also thinking of painting them

Michael
Wowee is that bench looking sweet!
I wouldn't worry about the tear out, after you chop too deeply through a dovetail and gouge the surface you will be happy to have that extra 1/4" for future flattening... Hypothetically speaking, of course
Greetings,

CT,

That is one fine looking bench. I have enjoyed reading your thread.

Great vice install. I might try the dowel approach.

Good luck with the remaining fun.

Best...

Frank
Madison: If men were angels, no gvmt would be necessary and if angels governed men, no limits on government would be necessary. Because neither men nor their governments are angelic, gvmt and limits on government are both necessary for ordered liberty.
Crooked Tail said:

Hmmmnn, that purpleheart kinda reminds me of a Steve Knight plane, a high compliment indeed...
Skip

CT why not just plug the hole? You won't see it anyways and leaving it open might weaken the face,Len
ex-INFILL MAGNET