CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure
That is a nice looking base, CT. You did the right thing by rebuilding it.
... dead bug test fit. ROTFLMAO!!!

Quote:

It has a slight wobble to it, so I guess I'll be planing the feet tomorrow morning.

That wobble may have nothing to do with your feet (the bench's ) at all. Likely, its the uneveness of your garage floor or an induced twist from the stretchers. I wouldn't do a thing to the feet yet, wait until you get the top on and just shim them as necessary. If it's a twist, it's probably going to settle out.

That trestle is really looking good, BTW. I think you made the right choice building another.
Bob Zajicek
Marietta, GA
Owner Czeck Edge Hand Tool
http://CzeckEdge.com

Thanks guys! I guess the pictures must be coming up... they are timing out for me here at work... hopefully they haven't blocked my website with their firewall.

I will have to do some final clean up on the sides of the top before putting it on the new base. I'm also considering screwing and gluing an additional strip underneath to make the top 3.5" thick where the holes for the holdfasts will go. Boy, let's hope no one ever looks at the underside of this thing... it is going to really look like a hodge-podge, I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing, hack job. When I build my next bench...
Turning impaired.
Funny how you go from being sick of tenons on your Sunday post and by Monday you're talking about your next bench . I guess having a good bench would make it easier to build another bench.

Great job on the bench, CT and thanks for taking us along for the trip. A truly enjoyable thread.

Ted
It has certainly been an incredible learning project! I understand now why it is somewhat of a tradition for beginners to build a bench as a first or nearly first project (this is my third project). Because of the various mistakes I've made, I'm sure I'll want to build another sometime down the road, but my confidence level has gone way up after learning so much here.

So anyway, here's one especially for mpphoto:

Upsy-daisey:

The top sits on the base on two 3/4" dowels, and I stuck a couple lag screws in it also.

I'm very happy with it. It is rock solid, night-and-day difference between it and the old base. I push and pull on the bench from every angle and it doesn't budge! This was definitely worth the extra time, effort, and money to rebuild it. I had my doubts for a while, but now that it's all together, I'm very glad I redid it. My only regret is that I didn't spring for the maple instead of poplar. But that also saved me about $150. I think that means I'm entitled to spend that $150 on a tenon saw. Or a nice dovetail saw... or a shoulder plane... or...

This is exciting... it means part II of the adventure will begin soon: the cabinets!

So.... does anyone want a slightly used, light duty dougfir and poplar stand...
Turning impaired.
Crooked Tail said:

So anyway, here's one especially for mpphoto:

Giggle, giggle... it's upside down.
Yes, I'm easily amused

Quote:

This was definitely worth the extra time, effort, and money to rebuild it. I had my doubts for a while, but now that it's all together, I'm very glad I redid it.

That must be a great feeling. As usual, I'm very impressed. It looks fantastic and it sounds like you're now a benchmaking expert.

My bench components are all milled and dimensioned, the cabinet carcasses are made and hopefully at some point I can put all of the pieces together so I can start to use it. This thread has been incredibly helpful to me and I'm sure to many others as well; thanks so much. I
m glad you're still going to do the cabinets, I'd hate to see this thread end...

As for the old trestles, maybe you could build a smaller assembly table? Can't have too many tables in the shop.

Excellent work CT-

Michael
CT, that is a beautiful bench. Great Work.
Thanks for sharing your thread, it has been a great read plus a whole lot of encouragement for myself!
I cannot wait to see the NEXT project!
Cheers!
 “Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.”
Sir Winston Churchill
CT,

That's a fine looking bench. I commend you and I would like to add my thanks for this thread. I have admired your determination and good humor through what, I'm sure, were some discouraging times with your bench project. All goes to show that dedication to doing it right, without shortcuts, is what fine craftsmanship is about. Great job! and happy woodworking on your excellent bench.

Hank
Thanks everyone. Now I can get going on the cabinets, which I'm sure will be a whole new (mis?)adventure!

mpphoto: you said you already built the carcasses for your cabinets? What are you cabs going to be like? Drawers? Doors? Slides? I'm pondering cabinet design now and can use all the help I can get.
Turning impaired.
I did ball bearing slides, and lots of small drawers.
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life