Last Reindeer post till next Christmas.....I swear!! (Pic heavy)
I mentioned in one of the other reindeer threads that the LOML needed a few more for late Christmas gifts for her Church small group. I decided to take a different approach this time.

I've really never made anything out of the fire wood pile before, but I might do it again sometime.

Heres where I got the wood from. It's warm today, don't need a fire anyway.

Here's the "chosen few".

Jointing first, to get a couple of flat edges. The tape is for a straight line when I get to resawing. I didn't joint that top edge, so I couldn't get a straight line with a pencil that would show up enough.

A little minor resawing.

Tracing the pattern. The white marker showed up much better than a pencil.

A little scroll saw work for the tight turns. I drilled the first ones I made with a forstner bit, but this just seems a little faster to me.

A little band saw work comes next.

Next I move to the spindle sander. I used the belt on the Ridgid Spindle Sander for the outside curves and the spindle for the holes. Those vertical lines you see on the side are grain lines, not bandsaw marks. It's smooth as a babys bottom.

After a coat or two of spray poly...here's a couple in all their spalted glory.

I wouldn't have bored y'all with yet another post about the things, except for the fact that I took them from firewood to finished product. I have no idea whether or not they'll hold up in the long run and not crack apart. I didn't take any time for acclimation, or sticker drying. However the firewood has been cut for a year or so, and the tree was standing dead when it was taken down. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll stay together, if not...I'll make some more out of kiln dried stuff.

Thanks for looking.
Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down.
A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.
I think they are really neat and would make excellent gifts. Nice job.
I never knew you could cut tree wood with those saws.
My real fear is, that when I'm gone she'll sell my WW tools for what I said I paid for them.
Chipper_Jr said:

I never knew you could cut tree wood with those saws.

Ok let me say first I am sorry but lmao, what other kind of wood is there?
Finishing: I apply shellac before I apply varnish.
Routing:Hand Left to Right, Table right to left
Cutting plywood:Face up on the table saw
Face down w/circular saw.
Wear safety glasses when using power tools.

Awesome! You have raised the bar for sure. Heck- they are easy enough to make, so if you lose half of the herd....

Thanks awsome. I have looked and looked for that pattern for my sons to make, Do you know where I can download it at?

Thanks
Those are really cool. Would you be so kind as to post the dimensions of the jigs you outlined?
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
those are pretty cool, never seen them before....

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I like it!
Here's a link to the pattern

As for the size, you can make them what ever size you like by playing with the settings when you print the pattern. Mine are about 5" high, and most were cut with standard 3/4" thick lumber.

The numbers on the pattern, I guess is the order the originator thought you should cut, but I find it easier to cut the holes for the legs and antlers first...then cut the front profile, then cut the sides.

Again, I'd like to point out that I didn't orginate this plan, I found it on another forum from a link on the FWW website. Another poster said it was printed in Popular Woodworking back in the 80's.

Either way...its been a fun little deal.
Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down.
A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.