Last Reindeer post till next Christmas.....I swear!! (Pic heavy)
Have you thought of splitting the log into usable pieces? It might be worth a try.
Semper Fi

Very nice work and they look pretty cool

I just hope you don't freeze to death if you run outta wood and are afraid to burn the reindeer up

Oh............Nothing Runs Like A Deere

Again........they are really nice

JEFF
If it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer
WoodFarmer said:

I just hope you don't freeze to death if you run outta wood and are afraid to burn the reindeer up

Don't you worry none...my wifes got a nice kitchen table I'll burn before I heat with anything I've made.

(other than the things I butcher so bad I throw them in the kindling pile before they ever make it in the house)
Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down.
A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.
Walking thru the local Sears I noticed an add on light for power tools- the box has a picture of the light on a bandsaw, with THE REINDEER laying on the saw! Too Funny

btw....is this your design/idea or did you find it somewhere? its pretty cool!

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

packerguy said:

btw....is this your design/idea or did you find it somewhere? its pretty cool!

And going........and going.........and going........ (props to Goalie.)
A wonderful craftsman named Tom Miller was making these in Auburn, Alabama in the mid-70's. He farmed out the design to a small crew of folks (my mother included) who would cut them out of dimensional construction lumber (pine, fir whatever) then burn them with a blowtorch and polish the result with a wheel made of synthetic rope. The burning and polishing resulted in a really nice warm brown, with cool dimensional changes where the wood went from early to late growth. He also made them out of hard wood on a larger scale. I don't know if the design was his originally, but I have the templates he gave my mom. I always assumed he was the creator. I've been making them as gifts for a while, always crediting Tom. Your nose is a little stumpier than his. But then, they always varied a little based on the skills and inclinations of the person who was doing the cutting.
jonsmithnyc said:

I've been making them as gifts for a while, always crediting Tom. Your nose is a little stumpier than his.

Well....getting a little personal ain't you? Course I've never seen Tom's nose.

Everyone of them is a little different, but they sure are fun considering how simple they are to make.
Oh!......Welcome to the forum!
Just thought I would give this thread a bump, given the season.

Thanks 'Rookie.

In-laws are getting some of these this year out of some wood I cut out of their back yard last year.