Last Reindeer post till next Christmas.....I swear!! (Pic heavy)
David Stone said:

What's the best way to cut the small circumferences at the top and bottom? A big forstner bit? Will a 1/4" band saw blade make that turn?

1/4" BS blade is how I do them. May have to come into the cut from either side. Made this little one from some scrap walnut and used the 1/4" blade...

"Well behaved women rarely make history."

You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have.
I drilled the antlers and legs first, then used a band saw. I found the small circles hard to get with the bandsaw.
I used a 1 inch wide belt sander to clean them up, but have recently added an OSS to my shop.

Thanks for the repost.

> WoodMaw - I really like that little fella. I may make a bunch of those to hang on the outside of Christmas packages.

- Lonnie
OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
My 10yo daughter made a whole herd of them over the last few weeks. She has gifts for grandmas, aunts, teachers, etc.

The ones we made were cut from 1" (actual) walnut scraps I had laying around and some 7/8" alder I got on sale. I made all of the profile cuts with 3/8" blade on the bandsaw and she made the remaining cuts with a #9 blade on the scrollsaw. This was a great deal of fun,we used up a lot of stuff from my scrap bin and I got to spend one on one time with her. Will post pics...
This is a great little project,I saw this last post year around this time and I decided that my HS woodshop class should make them.We started out using scraps of hardwood,eventually ran out,I cut up Doug Fir 2'' stock,you would be surprised how the grain popped with the cuts and finish,anyway we made 200/300 reindeer,pretty much followed what everyone else did to make them,we did find out to dip them in fast drying lacquer ,brush off the runs,one spray on clear coat for the final finish,did speed up the process,we donated them to our SBYS and they sold them to raise money for local charities,thanks for the idea and project,Gene Pinelands Regional HS
I guess I have to buy an OSS and perhaps figure out how to use my scroll saw.

Right around the corner..... Right?
Ken
Dave, if you have a bandsaw it will be much easier thsn a scroll saw

Is it that time of year already?
See ya later,
Bill
My club made these a few years ago and yes they were fun.
We even painted a red nose and some eyes and put a ribbon around the neckand dipped the antlers in darker stain. Made a family thanks to a copy machine to enlarge the pattern.
If you don't find one to download, I can mail you one.
Sandra