Now that's a kickback!
Is it just me, or is there no splitter, RK, or blade guard in the photo?
So here's the part that scares me, and it is exactly what disappoints me. Not enough thought on what makes for a dangerous situation, and too many people / posters that don't have anything to share toward a safe solution.

I still use an old RAS. I have learned that trapped cuts, (rips that have the target piece trapped between the blade and the fence), are VERY dangerous. You have to control the trapped piece. That is the dangerous one. Whenever I have to cut a trapped piece I make sure that I have enough stock to PUT MY HANDS ON IT! Every time that I have had a problem, and that's not many, I have been trying to push too small stock through with some kind of push stick.
You can't feel when something is wrong through a stick. It's like trying to brush your teeth with the toothbrush tied to a 2 X 4, (really strong, but the touch of a lobster).
I find that delicate cuts require ALL the feedback that I can get. I'm not afraid of my saw, but a healthy respect for all that horsepower keeps all 10 fingers attached.
It's also why I like hand tools. If you cut a finger off with a hand saw, you deserve it, You just can't fix stupid.

later,
there is plenty of good information about preventing accidents and avoiding dangerous situations provided on this site, enough so that if you had more than a passing interest in posting in this one in particular; a thread that would and should have died already

Now we get to suffer it for another year.

Thanks
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

[blockquote]Parkerdude said:

"So here's the part that scares me, and it is exactly what disappoints me. Not enough thought on what makes for a dangerous situation, and too many people / posters that don't have anything to share toward a safe solution."

Did you read the posts by Rick Christopherson, Vic Damone, Lumber Yard, barnowl and Niki among others. There are some excellent observations and safety suggestions.

Andrew
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Glad you was not hurt.
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter!
Lot of good information in this thread.

Andrew
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Bumping a few old/big threads for another year. Not sure how this one was still alive in the first place.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
skizzo said:

Bumping a few old/big threads for another year. Not sure how this one was still alive in the first place.

and now another yr

<wishing for this to die is like predicting the second coming

Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

<wishing for this to die is like predicting the second coming

It already happened. I was born on Mar. 10, 1949