Now that's a kickback!
Glad to read you weren't hurt I hope a change of clothing wasn't needed but understand if it was. I have to say I learn more from reading about this type of accident here than I ever learned in a shop class
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Humanbackhoe said:

There was a Grip-tite in front of the blade and one behind the blade. ...

First off, I'm glad you are OK.
Could you set the saw back up like you had it before you started the cut and take a picture. Just static pose of where everything was set. This may be the best safety training any of us have had in a while.
My real fear is, that when I'm gone she'll sell my WW tools for what I said I paid for them.
To tell you the truth, I didn't react to this at all. What would appear to be a scary situation, was in fact, an obstacle to my project. The window needed to be repaired immediately and analysis of the occurrence is needed to prevent it reoccurring. Tomorrow I will continue, albeit, more carefully.
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Tomorrow I will do that for you. The window has been replaced and all the glass cleaned up inside and outside the shop,however, the evaluation is still ongoing.
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Humanbackhoe said:

Do they make those about 4 inches wide?

No but you can in about 10 min with some plywood and a few screws. Some people choose to put sandpaper on the bottom in addition to a lip.

David marks uses a home made one like that.
I think you are proceeding under the often repeated misconception that the right-bevel is going to contribute to a kickback, without realizing just how rare this occurrence actually is.

In 14 years following kickback stories on the internet, this is the first time that I have seen it documented, and as I pointed out above, it wasn't the blade tilt that caused the kickback.
Lumber Yard said:

With all things being equal prior to the cut and with zero chance of kickback what cut do you make?

With all things being equal prior to the cut with 100% certainty of kickback what cut do you make?

If I knew there was 0% chance of a kickback, I would stand on top of the saw and push the workpiece through with my foot so I didn't have to expend as much energy. With a 100% chance of kickback, I would tie a rope around it and pull it through with my truck, because I would know that no matter what I did, I was going to break something.

Yes, these are silly answers to silly questions. The point is, I want to make the chance for a kickback be as close to zero as I possibly can.

Maybe these questions are more applicable, because they have ramifications to the decisions being made (p.s. I actually came up with these before you made your posting, so I got a kick out of your approach) :

Which would you rather do, drive down the freeway (in the correct direction) but with the car in reverse--knowing that an accident is more likely to happen, but that when it does, you will not be injured as badly because your back is into the seat?

Or would you rather drive down the freeway in the forward direction where you can see the accident coming and avoid it, but when an accident does occur, you will be more likely to get injured?

For a warning that gets repeated as frequently as blade-tilt warnings get repeated, what you virtually never hear about are the actual accidents that the warnings warn about. That is because they are incredibly rare.
Rick Christopherson said:

[blockquote]Lumber Yard said:

Oh that reminds me: Humanbackhoe, check your blade for lost teeth or other damage, because it is very, very likely that the blade was deflected into your saw's throat plate.

Humanbackhoe (love your handle), How did the blade fare? Given the trapped board and the force of the kickback it seems it should have a least been bent some.

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Yep, dump that push stick and go with something that has a hook and a hold down capability.... you'll have a lot more control.
A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.
Winston Churchill

History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of men - Godzilla (BOC)

Some very interesting postmortem views. Since the cause of this incident and its possible prevention is open to speculation on our part, the one constant is the fact that the back of the blade coming out from under the table surface and its relation to the work piece wandering into the blade is generally where this type of misfortune begins.

This can easily happen with either a right or left tilt saw, push stick or hands, with or without a splitter. If I were marketing sliding table saws I'd want those terrific photos in my catalog. Since many of us value our woodworking experience over proven safer equipment, table saws with sliding tables are either to expensive or take up to much room.

IMO the most cost effective way to increase the prevention of this situation is to have the rear of the fence adjusted .002 further away from the blade and use properly adjusted Board Buddies to draw the work piece into the fence at all times as well as to hold the piece down.

Glad your OK.
Is the splitter on the saw?
Finishing: I apply shellac before I apply varnish.
Routing:Hand Left to Right, Table right to left
Cutting plywood:Face up on the table saw
Face down w/circular saw.
Wear safety glasses when using power tools.