Now that's a kickback!
Papa Jim,
The blade is the WWII full kerf which is built quite stoutly. Rick C. was correct in his assumption that the blade had hit then throat plate there were some marks that I hadn't noticed in all the confusion. The blade appears to be alright using a straight edge across the plate and a visual inspection of the teeth. I will check more in the next use for sound and results.
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Jim I certainly agree with you about the push stick. The Grip-tite magnetic feather boards I was using had lulled me into a false sense of control, that aspect is still being reviewed.

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
WoodFarmer said:

Get one of these or make one

BURN THE PUSH STICK

I'm not saying that would have prevented the accident but get one!!!

JEFF

Completely agree with burning the push stick.

But don't agree with using that for anything except the last foot of a narrow rip.

On boards as wide as the OP was cutting, the Gripper is the best way to go, as it provides push as well as downward pressure as well as lateral control.

I own and use two of them, one in each hand.

This picture shows the attachments, which I take off for wide board ripping.

[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
No, the saw is being checked out today...alignment, damage etc. Assuridly the splitter will be installed before I continue on the project.

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
That is an interesting looking devise, I've never seen one. It looks fairly stable.

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
IMHO, it's the best accesory for a table saw, router table, or jointer in years.

Was there some initial apprehension when you started using the system? The reason I ask, is, that at the end of the cut your body is extended over the exposed blade. Am I misinterpreting something?

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
I very seldom use them "over the blade", although I have, and yes, to answer your question, there is a certain apprehension.

Every time.

Most times, I use them to push boards very much like in your pictures, and they excel in that.

Oh, and forgive me for not mentioning it previously, but I'm very glad you weren't hurt.

Been kicked in the gut from a board, and it ain't pleasant.
I really like the Gripper I have two of them and use them especially for narrow ripping with their "bridge" feature.

If you want another decent alternative this pushblock from Ptree is also, very good except it doesn't have the bridge feature the Gripper does. I use it a lot for resawing on the bandsaw but also use it with my other machines. Here is a pic from ptree and at full price it is quite a bit less than the Gripper. BTW I bought when they had a sale on them for $15:

web page
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Great alternative....I'll check it out.