Now that's a kickback!
Wow! I too am glad that you're safe. That thing sure flew a good distance!

In addition to having the fence on the wrong side of the tilted blade, were you also not using a splitter?
Louie
Have to agree with you, Brian, it doesn't seem safe to me right now.
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Mommy!!

Glad you weren't hurt.

The jointer is great for those bevels, FWIW.
You are not your postcount.

"Even Chuck Norris is afraid of bevel rips on a RAS." - Sub-Dooood 8/10/09

No I wasn't using a splitter, although I can't see where that would have helped in this situation. probably would have had the splitter thrown at me too.

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Humanbackhoe said:

While working on a prototype for walnut mantel...

Wow, the above quote was the most shocking to me.

I try my best to not make prototypes OR bevel cuts into the fence.

All kidding aside, I am glad to hear that you didn't get hit by the kick-back debris. Ironic that a grip-tite (the safety item) would be what would have hit you, and I would imagine would have been more damaging than getting hit with a board.

-Kevin
Humanbackhoe said:

No I wasn't using a splitter, although I can't see where that would have helped in this situation. probably would have had the splitter thrown at me too.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

Good to see that you also have kept a good outlook. I got a slight scare on a miter saw once and it took me a bit to laugh about it.
Those prototypes can be hard on you. Funny thing is... I didn't see it or hear it happen. The ear protection kept the sound of broken glass away and I didn't realize the extent of the incident until I started looking for the board I was working with.

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Humanbackhoe said:

From what I can see in the pic the board has a partial bevel on it, in which case a splitter would have probably prevented this.
A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.
Winston Churchill

History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of men - Godzilla (BOC)

The cut was a 22 1/2* bevel with an obvious bevel/fence set up mistake. So, I"m asking, in your estimation, would the splitter have cancelled out the set up problem?

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
No it wouldn't have canceled it but it is possible the splitter could have helped prevent the piece from climbing. Who knows???

Bottom line is a trapped bevel cut isn't a good idea with or without a splitter.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP